Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2008 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0405 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 41 Pernell Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
This large residence was constructed in 1922 in the Tudor style. It is associated with the 1920s developmental era in the Montlake neighborhood and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This tall 2-story house has a gable front and wing form, an L shaped plan, and stucco cladding. A full-height wall on the south facade projects slightly in front of the main (west facing) facade. Windows throughout are single, paired or groups of 3 wood frame casements with leaded divided lights.  A tall recessed entry is located in the steeply pitched gable-front section.  A hip-roofed projecting bay and a shed-roofed wall dormer above are located in the center of the main facade. The site is flat, densely planted with shrubs and trees, and surrounded by a low concrete wall with tall bollards at the entry and wrought-iron fencing above.  A concrete driveway is located at the north end. 

Detail for 2008 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0405 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Karin Link, “400 Dexter Avenue North, Seattle, WA – South Lake Union,” “Historic Property Inventory Report,” City of Seattle Historic Neighborhood Inventory Database. 2005.

Photo collection for 2008 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0405 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 01, 2014

Photo taken Dec 01, 2014
App v2.0.1.0