Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2001 19TH AVE / Parcel ID 212504-9093 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Thorne Residence Common Name: 34 Sugarman Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1934
This residence is a good and intact example of the Tudor Revival style. Built in 1934, it is associated with 1930s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners (1938) were Robert & Martha Thorne. The home was owned by Charles L. & Dorothea Johnson in 1948; he was a salesman, Vern Cole Realty Co.. It was owned by James D. & Stella Woolston in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard. The earliest known owners (1938) were Robert & Martha Thorne. Thehome was owned by Charles L. & Dorothea Johnson in 1948; he was a salesman, Vern Cole Realty Co.. It was owned by James D. & Stella Woolston in 1958.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk directories of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 1-1/2 story house sits on a steeply sloping midblock lot adjoining Interlaken Park. The lot has a rockery, a lawn, numerous large shrubs and small trees and a diagonal path to the entry. The house has a gable-and-wing form with steeply-pitched gable roofs clad with wood shingles. The house is clad with an unusual brick in numerous shades of brown and red; the bricks vary in size and finish and are laid randomly. The entry is at the juncture of the two wings, with the door recessed into an arched entryway with a tiled stoop and concrete stairs. The entry enclosure is capped by a shingle-clad hexagonal roof giving the impression of a small turret. Windows have divided light steel sash. Near the entry is a small four-light window with an ornate  wrought iron grill. On the main façade is a large arched 32-light window with a Juliet balcony. Due to the slope, the north elevation rises 2-1/2 stories. It has the garage door, an exterior chimney and several fixed and casement windows, all with multilight steel sash.

Detail for 2001 19TH AVE / Parcel ID 212504-9093 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Wood - Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2001 19TH AVE / Parcel ID 212504-9093 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0