Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2550 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0280 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: Cuevas Residence
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival, Vernacular Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1919
This residence is a good and intact example of a Colonial Revival-inspired house. Built in 1919, it is one of the older houses in this part of Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This large Colonial Revival house sits on a corner lot with a lawn, shrubs and large trees; a hedge surrounds the rear yard, on the north. The house has 1-1/2 stories plus a basement. It has a side gable roof with a shed dormer on the front above the entry. Cladding is clapboard on the first story and shingles above, with a wide belt course separating the materials. The entry stoop, on the west façade, is sheltered by a hipped roof supported by two square posts. Flanking the entry are two pairs of  one-over-one wood windows with wide surrounds and shutters. Similar windows are above the entry and on the side elevations.  At the north end is a  sunroom with six pairs of 6-light casement windows and a rear entry with wood stairs.  The gabled second story appears to be an older compatible addition, with one-over-one windows similar to those elsewhere on the house; it is set back several feet from the main facade  and is slightly smaller than the first story sunroom. There is an external brick chimney on the south elevation and a basement garage at the northwest corner of the house.  

Detail for 2550 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0280 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Tax Assessment Rolls, Washington State Archives.
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2550 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0280 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0