Located Carles Supl. Blk 8 & DT Dennys 2nd Lot 6.
Factory building custom designed to a house dairy plant. Property was acquired by Agnes Osner 7-21-36, probably through the estate of her late husband Charles, a pioneer real estate investor. The building was custom designed for Hi-Grade Dairy Co. by <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Seattle architect W.C. Jackson, constructed by A.S. Hanson and completed in July 1937. The Seattle Times published a detailed article (July 20, 1937, p.8) “Hi-Grade Dairy Now in New, Modern Plant” which noted that the building was designed as a model dairy plant with entirely covered loading platforms, showers for employees, scientific ventilation and lighting systems and a highly efficient production line. Hi-Grade dairy was a unique dairy organization established by a group of dairymen in 1924 and mostly employee owned. Milk was supplied daily by the Seattle Milk Producers’ Association – more than 300 dairy farmers in very close proximity to <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Seattle. Ole Foss was the president of Hi-Grade Dairy and other company officers included Thelma F. Dimick, treasurer; D.S. Mearns, secretary; and <st1:place w:st="on">E. Berlin, vice president. The ST article indicated that Hi-Grade Dairy had been the gold metal winner for the quality of milk marketed for four consecutive years at the Western Washington State Fair.
The original 1937 wing measured 100’ x 113’ (including a one story delivery bay wing at north side) with 14,480 square feet of floor space and exhibited modest Streamline Moderne design features. The plant was designed to house company offices; pasteurizing, bottle washing, and bottling equipment; as well as modern refrigeration units and efficient receiving and delivery bays platforms. The new plant increased production capacity for a full line of dairy products that included the bottling of thousands of quarts of milk a day.
A 2-story, 22’ x 50’ addition was added to the east side of the building (off <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Aloha Street) in 1948; it housed a 4-bay garage and was designed by Wm. J. Jones, architect. [Biographical information regarding Agnes Osner, Ole Foss and architects W.C. Jackson and Wm. J. Jones could not be obtained.]
The building appears to have functioned as a dairy plant until the late 1950s. It went through multiple ownerships between 1960 and 1969 including use by other food processing/handing companies (Rainier Seafood Products and MacDonald Meat Co.). By 1968 it was used for workshop and warehouse purposes. In 1991 it became administrative offices for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCCC) and in 1999 renovations for offices and storage use were undertaken.