See 333 Westlake Ave N. [Pande Cameron Building – Durant-Star Co./Dunn Motors Showroom] for Westlake Avenue N. – Historic Context Statement.
Constructed in 1925 for George C. Wheeler, this distinctive loft building appears to have been built as a speculative real estate venture. Mr. Wheeler purchased the site in March 1924. It was designed by Seattle architect William R. Grant according to plans dated Feb 21, 1925 (DPD Microfilm Library). For many years Mr. Wheeler served as the director of the Seattle Building Owners and Managers Association and had been the building manager of the Northern Bank & Trust Building (Seaboard Building, 1506 Westlake Ave.) since 1915. He also served on the Seattle Parks Board as a member and as president. Mr. Wheeler appears to have retained ownership of the building until July 1944. Original tenants have not been identified. Domestic Utilities Corp. used the building from 1937 – 1944. It was also used by Garrett M. Lowman & Associates for manufacturing purposes and by the Peerless Electric Supply Corp. c.1948.
Biographical information regarding William R. Grant (1890-1957). Born and raised in Detroit; employed by the Beezer Brothers (who designed adjacent loft building at 503 Westlake Ave. in 1919) from 1910 to 22; designed Christ Episcopal Church, Seattle (1914; altered); in private practice after 1922; designed Carl H. Mengedoht (now 2004 Westlake Avenue) building, Seattle (1923; altered), Carl H. Mengedoht residence, Seattle (1926-27), Ballard Eagles Aerie (now Ballard Building), Seattle (1927-28), A. J. Eberharter warehouses (several warehouse on Dexter Ave. for Adolph J. Eberharter, who also owned adjacent building at 503 Westlake Ave ), U.S. Naval Reserve Armory (now Museum of History & Industry), Seattle (1940-42, with B. Marcus Priteca); in partnership of William R. Grant & Son with Austin C. Grant, Seattle, 1945-54; designed Church House addition & remodeling of sanctuary, Christ Episcopal Church, Seattle (1953-54), Keith residence, Shoreline (1970). Retired from practice in 1954. (Credit: David Rash, Shaping Seattle Architecture, 2014.)