See 333 Westlake Ave N. [Pande Cameron Building – Durant-Star Co./Dunn Motors Showroom] for Westlake Avenue N. – Historic Context Statement.
This loft building was designed by Charles L. Haynes and appears to have been built as a speculative real estate investment in 1920. Henry Broderick, Inc. placed “Loft for Lease” advertisements in the Seattle Times [10-2-1920, pg. 12] describing it as a “new building” designed for light manufacturing or wholesale business purposes and equipped with a freight elevator. Its prime location described was noted as “one block away from rail and water transportation” as was the fact that the space could be divided to suit tenant. By late 1920 at least part of it was in use as a Baldwin phonograph factory (the piano factory was located at 1247 Westlake Ave.). In 1923 the Rubenstein Fresh Egg Noodle Co. had established a factory at this address as had the North Coast Shoe Co.
In late 1928 the Farwest Lithograph & Printing Co. housed its Seattle plant, which had 50 employees, at this address. The firm (established in 1921 and known by this name by 1925) specialized in photo-lithograph and off-set printing with products ranging from stock certificates, bonds, letterheads, checks, and photo lithographs to broadsides, high-quality color printing greeting cards. (They also operated a card shop at the plant building.) These products were marketed throughout the Pacific Coast as well as Alaska, Hawaii, Cuba and the Orient. The firm relocated to larger plant at 300 Wall Street in mid-1931 – where they were in operation until c.1964.
North Coast Shoe Co. appears to have continued manufacturing at this site until at least the late 1930s. Other subsequent tenants and uses included Sunbeam Utilities, Thomas Stratton Restaurant, a sausage company warehouse, Lewis Refrigerator & Supply Co (1937), Stamm & Lewis – butcher supplies, Black & Decker Manufacturing (1940) and Crawfords Office Furniture (1969).
Charles Lyman Haynes (1870-1947) was born in Santa Cruz, California and arrived in Seattle via San Francisco in 1907. The following year he opened his own independent architectural firm and maintained an office in the Melhorn Building. The scope of Haynes’ formal architectural training is not known; however, he would have gained valuable experience having previously worked for San Francisco architect Alexander Cantin. During his 30+ year career, he designed a wide variety of buildings including: apartment houses, warehouses, commercial buildings, single family residences and automobile showrooms. Haynes designed in a variety of popular revival styles ranging from Spanish Eclectic to Neo-Classical. Known projects include: the Robert P. Greer(n) House (1910), Kappa Sigma Fraternity (1914), and the T.A. Davies House (c.1925). As the official architect for the Hunter Improvement Company, Haynes prepared plans for over one-hundred homes planned for the Mount Baker neighborhood. Other notable single-family homes include the Robert B. Kellogg House (1912); the Margaret Calvert (1913), the Frank Buty House (1915); and the Amelia Hemrich House (1923). Known apartment and commercial building projects included the Roy Vue Apartments (1924); Dunlap Apartments (1929); Brooklyn Building (1930); Narada Apartments (1925); and the Bonair Apartments (1925); the Hotel Hudson (1909); the Reliance Hospital (1910); the Packard Automotive Showroom (1911); the Donohoe Garage (1921); Tyson Oldsmobile Co. Building (1912); the Masonic Temple on Capitol Hill (1912); the Butterworth Mortuary (1922); Rex Land Company Garage (1927); and the Russell Building (1924). (Credit: Shaping Seattle Architecture 2014 edition and DAHP website/Architects biographical info)