The southern three bays (measuring 60’ x 88’) of this large 46,971 sq. ft.) warehouse building were originally constructed in 1925 for the Westlake Investment Co., which appears to have retained ownership of the building/property for several decades. The original southern wing initially housed the Seattle branch of the Brunswich – Balke – Collender Company. This widely known and long-established national corporation specialized in the manufacture and sale of many products including billiard tables and bowling alley supplies. Prior to relocating to this warehouse and showroom space Brunswich – Balke – Collender Company’s Seattle branch was located at 1919 Second Avenue. By August 1926, Seattle Times advertisements promoted Brunswick “Panatropes, Radiolas and Records” available at their new Terry Avenue and John Street location. The company appears to have operated at this location until 1935 when Acme Press of Seattle, a printing and publishing establishment began to occupy at least two of the floor levels. An addition may have been made to the building in 1941 for Thieme, Morris, Hanson & Roland. In 1943 Richard & Holland Inc. (est. in Seattle c. 1909) specialized in the production of packaged foods and mixes with a clientele throughout the West and Alaska. The firm supplied food items to bakeries, confectioners, ice cream establishments and soda fountains. The Richard & Holland plant and offices underwent an expansion in 1961 that provided additional factory and office space. The addition of two four-story bays at north side of 1925 wing of warehouse building and fifth-story modern penthouse addition with entrance from John Street was designed by John Graham & Co. and built by Strand Construction.
This property was determined not eligible for NRHP – 5/24/2005 (South Lake Union Streetcar EIS). See DAHP database – HPI Report dated 12/15/2004.