This is a very altered building, which has nevertheless retained its overall shape and some significant architectural detailing on its main façade. It is also a good example of wooden industrial buildings in Seattle. It was originally built in 1930, with alterations made soon after to the façade in 1931. At that time, the owner of the building was Abe Sherman, who still apparently owned the building in 1941.
Abe Sherman was the founder of Sherman Supply, a well-known plumbing supplier in Seattle’s Industrial District. The company started out in a warehouse at 917 1st Avenue South (now demolished) and at the end of World War II, moved to 2456 1st Ave South, where the firm remained for “six decades.” It is not clear what relation this building at 1943 4th Avenue South had to the operation of Sherman Supply.
By the mid-1930s, the building actually housed “The Earl B. Staley Equipment Company,” as once indicated by a painted sign near the top of its façade. The company specialized in truck equipment, including “utility trailers,” “truck tanks,” and “utility six-wheel attachments,” as well as “steel and aluminum products.” All of these were advertised at the top of the façade. In 1941, a new loading platform and overhang were added at the south side. By 1949, Eckert’s Automotive Service advertised itself on the façade. Clarence Eckert had owned the building since 1944. As of this writing, the building houses Elliott Tire and Service Company.
Dan Raley, Tidelands to Tomorrow, the History of Seattle’s SoDo, Seattle: Fairgreens Publishing, LLC, 2010, p 30-31