Seattle Tidelands Ex 01, Blocks 377-
491, Lot: Portion
Structures from ca. 1925 to ca.
2008, (dates in the following are approximate).
The Ash Grove Cement
plant in Seattle consists of about fourteen utilitarian structures used in the
production of cement. These include storage warehouses from 1928 and 1925, the
first of pre-fab steel and the second of structural steel, a material storage
shed, also of prefab steel from 1956, a wood frame office/ bulk loading
building from 1928, in addition to more recent buildings. The recent buildings
include a clay storage building from 1979, the central control room and office,
as well as the maintenance shop, both from 1992, and others mostly from the
1990s, with one recent one, (the electric room next to the “dome”), from ca.
2008. All of these structures are highly utilitarian in terms design and
function and also altered.
The Seattle cement plant
was acquired by the Ash Grove concern, which owns nine plants all over the
United States. The company has main offices in Overland Park, Kansas. It was
originally founded in Ash Grove, Missouri in 1882, as the Ash Grove White Lime