||Rainier Ornamental Iron & Wire Works
||Other - Industrial
Plat: South Seattle Add, Block: 12,
Although alterations have
occurred particularly to the glazing on the main facade, this simple building
has retained important architectural features. Aside from the actual exterior
walls and parapet detailing, the original openings on the main façade have been
maintained. The replacement glazing, although clearly new, does not detract
that much from the original appearance as shown in the King County property
record card. Original drawings do not seem to be available. According to the
King County Assessor’s Record card, the building was constructed in 1931.
During the 1930s, the building housed the Rainier Ornamental Iron and Wire
Works, which remained at least until the mid-1960s. Arthur L. Lang bought the
building in 1940. By the late 1940s, the building also housed another
business with a similar name, Rainier Metal Fabricators. By 1970, the Alco Metal
Steel Fabrication Company occupied the building. A sampling of listings in
local directories from 1970, 1980 and the late 1980s, describe the building as
being vacant. The U.S. outlet or possibly one of several outlets for Touratech,
originally founded in Germany, currently occupies it. Among other products, the
firm deals in special gear for “large touring and adventure” motorcycling.
Among other products, it sells motorcycle parts, navigation equipment and
accessed July 2010.
This one story building is
located on the northwest corner of Airport Way South and S Dakota Street.
Rectangular in plan, although with a very slight irregularity, it has a flat
roof and parapet. Exterior walls are of concrete with an exterior coat of
stucco. The main façade along Airport Way South is divided into three bays,
marked by thin, raised portions of the parapet, set between the bays. These
raised portions of parapet act visually, at least, like engaged piers or
pilasters. They mark the edges of the façade, as well as the edges of the central
bay. Above the parapet, they are also stepped.
A large double door,
flanked to each side by multi-pane sidelights, marks the central bay. The
northern bay includes a door, topped by a separate clerestory window. To the
south of this, there is a large window opening subdivided into three in the
horizontal direction and into two (unequal) sections in the vertical direction.
The actual glazing is replacement multi-pane glazing with a grid of false
muntins. At the south bay, similar glazing fills the two openings to each side
of a doorway, topped by an overhang. Doors, which include glazing, as
well as the overhang are currently painted orange.
The south elevation also
includes window openings, with what looks like original multi-pane sash, (or a
very good replacement in kind). The actual elevation steps down in height
toward the west. Smaller windows on the front or eastern part of the elevation
are followed a series of taller and wider glazed, multi-pane openings on the
west side of the elevation. The last opening is a tall double door, topped by a