Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2450 6TH AVE / Parcel ID 7666203530 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Industrial Transfer & Storage Common Name: Industrial Transfer Warehouse
Style: Modern - International Style Neighborhood: Duwamish
Built By: Year Built: 1951-1953-1958-1961
 
Significance

 The first phase of construction was begun in 1951 and completed at the very end of 1951. Architect Joseph L. Skoog designed the first wing, as well as the adjoining wing to the north, which dates from 1961. The first wing was designed as offices and a warehouse for Industrial Transfer and Storage. The contractor was Howard S. Wright. Not long after, a warehouse, designed by Joseph L. Skoog was built for “Brokers Warehouse Company” at the north end of the lot. It was completed in 1953. It appears to have been narrower than the present wing, which mainly faces 6th Avenue South, but also had no windows. The contractor was also Howard S. Wright. Original drawings do not seem to be available, which makes it somewhat difficult to keep track of the exact changes made to the building; however, the western wing, which mainly faces 6th Avenue South is a good example of Modern International Style design, despite obvious alterations to windows and storefronts. By 1970, Polk’s Seattle Directories listed the building as an office building, associated with Industrial Transfer and Storage. By 1980, Industrial Transfer and Storage was still listed at this address, as were several other businesses, including Industrial Truck Leasing and Brokers Warehouse.

Architect Joseph L. Skoog was initially known for theater design. He worked with R. C. Reamer on the design of the 5th Avenue Theater in Seattle  (1925-1926) and on the Ferry Investment Building (1930) with Edwin Ivey. He designed the Sigma Kappa Society Sorority at the University of Washington in a Norman Country House style. His early work was mainly based on historical styles. This building shows that, at least by the early 1950s, he was able to transition to Modernism.

 
Appearance

2450 6th Avenue South is located on the northeast corner of 6th Avenue South and Lander Street. This Modernist building is rectangular in plan. It was built in three phases during the 1950s, with a fourth phase during the early 1960s. In general, the western elevation, which faces 6th Avenue, has more interest and integrity than the southern elevation along Lander Street, which is mostly altered.  In particular, the southwestern wing facing both 6th Avenue South, as well as Lander Street, is the original and oldest part of the building. It also has the greatest integrity. It is two stories in height and has concrete walls. A more or less central entry tower, which is taller than the rest of the façade, is a notable feature. A long window, divided vertically into three panes, is located toward the top of the tower. Above this window, fluting cut into the concrete further emphasizes the entry. The fluting extends to the top of the tower parapet. There is also a small, open entry porch, set on the south side of the tower. A flat overhang tops the porch. To each side of the tower, the window openings at the second level, as well as the storefronts and or window openings at the ground level are wide and rectangular

Presently, window openings often contain a continuous row of four longer panes set above smaller ones, which are of the same width. For instance, to the south of the tower, at the second level, there are three sets of these window bays. On the second level, to the north of the tower, there are two sets with another only containing two paired sets of these windows. Completing the façade of the older wing, two sets of storefronts are set under the two window bays. These storefronts replace what was originally a large service entry and door over a loading dock.

To the north of the older southwestern wing, the western façade rises to three stories. It corresponds to an addition from the early 1960s. Its elevation is mainly comprised of banks of replacement windows set in large rectangular openings. What was a shorter, windowless wing from 1953, has apparently been extended, but still has no windows. It merely presents a low concrete wall with engaged pilasters.

The south elevation facing Lander Street is comprised of a western portion corresponding to the older wing. This has two floors of three rectangular window bays, similar to the bays of the older wing along 6th Avenue South. The rest of the elevation has few openings, aside from two new storefronts. One of the storefronts is in the location of a former service door. At least part of this elevation to corresponds to a 1957-58 addition.

Detail for 2450 6TH AVE / Parcel ID 7666203530 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status: INV
Cladding(s): Concrete, Concrete - Block Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Industry/Processing/Extraction - Industrial Storag Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Concrete - Block No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Commerce, Manufacturing/Industry
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Storefront: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2450 6TH AVE / Parcel ID 7666203530 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Feb 02, 2010
App v2.0.1.0