Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2724 4TH AVE / Parcel ID 7666204256 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Newell Brothers/ Overall Laundry Common Name: Cabinets and Granite
Style: Modern - International Style Neighborhood: Duwamish
Built By: Year Built: 1946
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).

This building is well designed, but simple building, typical of the mid-1940s Modernism and has retained many of its character defining features. The building was designed by architect Max van House as an auto service building for Newell Brothers and was in service by 1946. The contractor was W. G. Clark. Original construction drawings were not available. Presumably the front two-story portion of the building acted as an office, while the back, covered by a series of bow trusses contained the actual garage space. By 1947, there was a streamline Art Deco marquee over the main entry, with the word “BUSES.” A vertical blade sign above advertised “RICOACH,” so the building may have been specifically used to service buses.

 
Appearance

2724 4th Avenue South is located on the east side of 4th Avenue South mid-block between South Lander and Forest Streets. Its plan is rectangular, 100 feet by 135 feet. From 4th Avenue South, the front portion of the building appears as having as a conventional two story office building with a flat roof and parapet. In fact, behind the more conventional front portion of the building, there is a curved roof, set over bow trusses. The building’s most important feature is its 4th Avenue South façade. Many of the façade’s characteristic features are also extended for one bay along the south elevation.

The main 4th Avenue elevation is distinguished by a slightly asymmetrical composition, Roman brick veneer over exterior concrete block walls and long bands of multi-pane glazing, at the second level. At the second level, two long window openings, set north of the main entry, are filled with glazing divided into three major sections. Two similar openings are set to the south of the main entry and are followed by a longer and similar opening divided into four sections. Based on a comparison with an historical photo, taken about a year after the building’s completion, in 1947, the pattern of muntins and glazing is the same, although the glazing may be a replacement in kind.

On the other hand, single vertical panes of glass, separated by vertical mullions have replaced the original first floor glazing. The simple main entry is characterized by a thickening in the brick veneer and three small oblong window openings set over a trabeated door opening.

Detail for 2724 4TH AVE / Parcel ID 7666204256 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status: LR, INV
Cladding(s): Brick, Metal Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet, Other Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Transportation - Road- Related Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Mixed No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Community Planning/Development, Manufacturing/Industry, Transportation
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2724 4TH AVE / Parcel ID 7666204256 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 25, 2010
App v2.0.1.0