Note: Industrial Add Replat, Block: A, Lot: A
Initial design by Oregon and Washington Railroad Co, Office of the Engineer
The building is not architecturally distinguished, but has retained its most significant exterior elements. Its shear length makes it a prominent feature among other notable buildings along this portion of First Avenue South. The office of the engineer of the Oregon and Washington Railroad Company initially designed it as a warehouse for the Sears & Roebuck Company in 1937, with alterations and additions to the loading platform, designed by Henry Bittman, occurring in 1940. Architect Joseph L. Skoog designed the most northern bays, which are similar to the original building and were added around1948. Subsequent exterior changes seem to have been minor. There were some interior tenant improvements to the north end of the building, probably the same area designed by Skoog, in 1966. Sears and Roebuck continued to be in the building until at least 1993. There was a remodel in 2002, but, again exterior changes appear to have been minor.
This is yet another building along First Avenue South, which was initially designed by the engineering office of the Oregon and Washington Railroad. Both 5000 1st Avenue South and 5050 1st Avenue South, located directly to the south, were also designed by engineering office of the Oregon and Washington Railroad.