||Machine Shop for G. Pearson/ D. A. Johnson Hardwood Company
||Pius Kitchen and Bath/ Funes and Oziel Furniture (previously)
||Other - Industrial, Vernacular
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
Based on original drawings from August 1918 and Tax Assessor
records, the building was apparently designed as a machine shop for G. Pearson.
Although there have been changes to the fenestration at the ground level, the
building is an excellent example of the kind of light industrial, heavy timber
structure erected in the industrial area of Seattle and along the central
waterfront, particularly during the 1900s to 1910s.
Based on the photo on the King County Tax Assessor’s Record
Card, by1936, the building’s main façade, as well as its Lander St facade
indicated in large letters that the building housed the “D. A. JOHNSON HARDWOOD
COMPANY.” On the main façade, letters underneath this sign also described what
the company purveyed: “SPRUCE CEDAR & BOARD LUMBER.” Another painted sign,
set at the top of the eave of the main façade, advertised: “No. 4
FLOORING.” In comparison to similar buildings of the period, such as 1950
1st Avenue South, near Walker St, the building elevations acted less
like a billboard, although the signage was not modest.
the late 1940s, the building apparently housed the Sears Farm Store, as well as
its mail order department for a time. The building was then bought by Earl W.
Morrison in July of 1954, but was sold again in July of 1956 to Sam D. Funes.
At that time, Peterson and Adams, Architects
remodeled the building for Funes Furniture. Structural repair was done
and a second floor added on the building interior in 1957. There were repairs
to the foundation in 1970, when Funes & Oziel Furniture was still occupying
the building. Two additional interior stairways were also added in 1973. By
1980 and at least through the end of the 1980s, Corner of Bargains Furniture
occupied the building.
This imposing heavy timber post and beam structure is located at
2462 1st Avenue South, on the northeast corner of First Avenue S and
Lander Street. The back, east elevation is also visible along Occidental Avenue
South. In plan, the building is rectangular, 60’ by 100,’ with the shorter
dimension facing First Avenue South and Occidental Avenue. The building has an
original heavy timber interior structure, including repeated Howe trusses, with
knee braces attached to lateral walls that define the top portion of the
central space. On the interior, a north-south cross-section would show the
central space topped by the repeated trusses, with the lower flanking spaces,
defined by slanted rafters, to each side. The interior structure is reflected
in the shape of the roof and the building as a whole.
From the exterior, the building has a monitor roof, with
clerestory windows. This central portion of the building rises above two
flanking wings. The composition of the main façade along First Avenue South is
also slightly asymmetrical: the southern wing of the building is wider than the
shorter northern wing. Based on an historical drawing from 1918, this has long
been the case. A separate structure, whose façade has since been reclad in
metal, sits north of 2462 1st Avenue South, alongside the building’s
shorter wing. It appears to have been added a few years after the original
building was constructed and has lost its integrity. (It is also considered
part of another parcel).
Although fenestration and siding have been replaced,
particularly at the ground level, the building has retained its most important
architectural features, including its distinctive shape, most of its original
drop siding and roofing. The original façade, which has been altered,
originally featured a large central opening with a sliding timber door, with,
to the south of it, a bank of three, tall multi-pane windows, and to the north
two lower doorways. These features have been replaced by a more conventional
central doorway opening, flanked by two wide windows, with fixed panes to each
side. Similar changes were made to the ground level along the longer Lander St
elevation. Originally, there were six bays, with each window bay, divided into
three, vertical, multi-pane windows. Each of these window bays has been
replaced by a pair of wide windows, similar to the replacement windows on the
As one moves up both the First Avenue South and Lander Street
elevations, there are more and more vestiges of the original multi-pane
fenestration. The clerestory level on both the main façade and the Lander St
façade retains the original multi-pane fenestration.