Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 954 E UNION ST E / Parcel ID 600350-0040 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: unknown Common Name: Seattle Museum of the Mysteries
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: Pike/Pine
Built By: Year Built: 1904
This simple masonry building was constructed in 1904, perhaps as an auto garage.  It has been altered considerably since then, and now houses the Seattle Museum of the Mysteries and other businesses. 

The Pike/Pine/Broadway vicinity became Seattle’s Auto Row shortly after the first automobile was offered for sale here in 1905.  For the next twenty years virtually all local auto dealers and numerous auto-related businesses were located here.  Nearly every building housed at least one dealership, service garage, parts dealer, paint shop or similar business.  “Auto Row” thrived with the strong economy of the 1920s.   However, the Great Depression of the 1930s led to general stagnation, and the neighborhood changed significantly after World War II.  Broadway High School closed in 1946, replaced by Edison Technical School, a vocational training institution. As the suburbs grew, most auto dealerships moved away from the congested city locations, although many parts dealers and service businesses remained.   The 1980s brought new development, as people returned to live in city neighborhoods.  Seattle Central Community College, the successor to Edison, demolished and replaced most of the old high school buildings in the 1970s.  In the past ten years the Pike/Pine corridor has developed as a residential and entertainment center with numerous apartments and businesses in new and renovated buildings. 

This one-story flat-roofed masonry building has newer multilight metal sash along the main (south) facade.   The windows have large transoms.  The windows in the two eastern bays have been bricked in and the east elevation is clad with modern brick.  The recessed entry is near the center, with a garage entry near the southwest corner.  

Detail for 954 E UNION ST E / Parcel ID 600350-0040 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Unknown Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): None
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 954 E UNION ST E / Parcel ID 600350-0040 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jul 12, 2010
App v2.0.1.0