Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1423 10TH AVE / Parcel ID 600350-0025 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: S. L. Savidge storage Common Name: 10th Avenue Building
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: Pike/Pine
Built By: Year Built: 1907

This 1907 building is in the heart of Seattle's original Auto Row, and may have been an an auto repair shop originally.  In the 1930s it was used as storage by S. L. Savidge, one of the largest auto dealers. It was later used for manufacturing of down-filled items.  It has been renovated to accommodate a variety of small businesses while keeping much of its original character. 

The Pike/Pine/Broadway vicinity became Seattle’s Auto Row shortly after the first automobile was offered for sale here in 1905.  For the next twenty years virtually all local auto dealers and numerous auto-related businesses were located here.  Nearly every building housed at least one dealership, service garage, parts dealer, paint shop or similar business.  “Auto Row” thrived with the strong economy of the 1920s.   However, the Great Depression of the 1930s led to general stagnation, and the neighborhood changed significantly after World War II.  Broadway High School closed in 1946, replaced by Edison Technical School, a vocational training institution. As the suburbs grew, most auto dealerships moved away from the congested city locations, although many parts dealers and service businesses remained.   
The 1980s brought new development, as people returned to live in city neighborhoods.  Seattle Central Community College, the successor to Edison, demolished and replaced most of the old high school buildings in the 1970s.  In the past ten years the Pike/Pine corridor has developed as a residential and entertainment center with numerous apartments and businesses in new and renovated buildings like this one. 

This rectangular 2-story building of unreinforced masonry sits on a mid-block lot about half a block south of Cal Anderson Park.  It is faced with brick and has six bays of windows set into blind arches on the second story.  The outer bays have two paired windows, the center two bays have three windows together and the other two bays have four windows.  All have one-over-one wood sash that may be newer but is compatible with the building.  The first story appears to have once had a series of five garage doors and an entry.  The southernmost door still provides access to the basement garage space; the others have either been filled in (painted black so they are still apparent) or converted to larger entries.

Detail for 1423 10TH AVE / Parcel ID 600350-0025 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Unknown Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
Williams, Jacqueline B. The Hill with a Future: Seattle's Capitol Hill 1900-1946. Seattle: CPK Ink, 2001.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.

Photo collection for 1423 10TH AVE / Parcel ID 600350-0025 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jul 12, 2010
App v2.0.1.0