This small house, built in 1902,is typical of the residences that were built in this area early in the century. This vicinity near Broadway was one of the first sections of Capitol Hill to develop. It was platted by David T. Denny, the trustee for the estate of John Nagle, who filed the donation claim for the area. In 1891 a streetcar line was extended from James Street, running north on Broadway (one block east of this site) to the city limits at E. Lynn Street, with direct service to downtown added on Pike Street in 1901. Another major impetus to local development was the 1903 completion of Seattle (later Broadway) High School, the city’s first modern high school. Students came from throughout Seattle and even from across Lake Washington to attend. Broadway, already an important street, flourished with new businesses, especially those catering to students, such as sandwich shops. By 1910 the area was largely developed, with small commercial buildings, numerous apartment buildings and single family homes such as this one. Further apartment and commercial development occurred in the 1920s, when the Broadway district boomed to become one of the city’s premier shopping venues. The Great Depression of the 1930s led to general stagnation, and the neighborhood changed significantly after World War II. Broadway High School closed in 1946, replaced by Edison Technical School, a vocational training institution. Many houses became rentals or were replaced by commercial or institutional uses. The 1980s brought new development, as people returned to live in city neighborhoods. The Broadway district is now thriving with new stores and apartment buildings.