Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3626 WOODLAND PARK AVE / Parcel ID 2261500135 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Peter Clausen House Common Name:
Style: Spanish - Eclectic Neighborhood: Fremont
Built By: Year Built: 1927
This house is a distinctive and intact example of the Spanish Eclectic style – one of several architectural revival styles that were particularly popular during the 1920s; the character and condition of the interior is not known. It is located in the Edgemont Addition, which was platted in January 1890, and was constructed in 1926 during the later period of historic residential development in the district. According to Permit # 263310 (dated 12/20/1926), an existing frame residence built c.1904 (permit # 26110) was demolished in order to construct this house. That permit and the permit to construct this house (# 263312) were issued the same day to Peter Clausen (owner) and Thomas Clausen (Contractor). The later permit described it as a “residence” including a “garage in basement” that would be constructed at an anticipated cost of $5,400.00. No architect was identified on the building permit. Peter Clausen who was identified as the owner had been residing at this address since c. 1905 and Thomas Clausen was either his brother or cousin. At the time of construction, Jorgen and Peter Clausen were the proprietors of the Standard Monument Co., located at 3520 Fremont Avenue. Thomas, Peter and Jorgen were all German-born with Danish heritage and appear to have been related; either as brothers or cousins. Thomas Clausen was born ca.1870 and immigrated to the US in 1896; he became a house carpenter and building contractor. He was listed in the Polk’s Directory (1907) as a carpenter residing at 3843 Aurora Ave. He continued to be identified as a carpenter and building contractor through the 1920’s residing at various addresses in Fremont until 1926, when he was living in Magnolia. Peter Clausen was born ca.1882 and immigrated to the US in 1898; he was identified in the US Census (1900) as a “stone cutter” residing in the Fremont area and possibly living with a sister (Katrina Larsen) who had immigrated in 1880. He appears to have worked for the New England Marble & Granite Company, which had a stone works at 115 Ewing (N. 34th) St. and for Puget Sound Marble & Granite (possibly the same entity) prior to joining the Standard Monument Co. He was listed in the Polk’s Directory (1905) as a stone cutter residing at 3626 Woodland Park Avenue. He continued to live at this same address with his wife Grace for many years; initially in the older home that was removed in 1926-27 when Thomas Clausen constructed this new brick residence. Peter and Grace Clausen continued to reside here; he died in the mid-1940s and she lived here until 1972. Jorgen H. Clausen was born ca.1887 and immigrated to the US in 1904; he may have originally worked as a sailor on a government survey boat but appears to have joined with Peter to form the monument company ca.1915, which was well established by 1926 when the subject property was built. The Standard Monument Co. was first listed in the Polk’s Directory (1916) with office and shop at 123 N.77th in Ballard – this appears to have also been Jorgen and Lulu Clausen’s residence at the time. By 1918, the company had moved to 3520 Fremont Avenue; it continued in business there until ca.1944. In 1925, Thomas Clausen built a distinctive Craftsman – Arts & Crafts style residence for Jorgen and Lulu Clausen that remains well preserved at 4337 Evanston Ave N [see # 2147011368]. A 1912 article published in the Seattle Post Intelligencer (“Residence Building Active Now Throughout Fremont District” 2/25/1912) referred to a residence owned by “Claussen Bros. & Son” at 4318 Evanston; it has yet to be determined whether this may have been a residential construction business involving these individuals.
[Edgemont Add] Located mid-block on the east side of Woodland Park Ave. N with the façade oriented to the west. Architecturally distinctive 1-1/2 story, wood-frame and brick veneer, original single family residence that was converted to a 2-family (double house/duplex) dwelling prior to 1937. Measures approx. 31’ x 42’ w/ concrete foundation and basement. Unusual stepped front gable form with monitor roof form and projecting flat roof entry porch at main elevation. Distinguished by distinctive Spanish Eclectic stylistic features: elaborate stepped gable end accentuated by buff color brick trim, cast stone coping and inset tile/brick details, segmental arched openings at porch, pent roof above first floor windows, central second floor balcony with multi-pane leaded glass windows and French doors. Red brick cladding with window/door openings accentuated by accentuated buff color brick surrounds and sills. Original wooden double-hung and cottage windows (at façade and south elevation with ornate leaded glass upper panels) remain in place. The original entry porch and side stair with curved cheek remain in place. Original basement level garage w/ driveway at main elevation. Entrance to basement level apartment at south elevation includes small segmental arched entrance canopy.

Detail for 3626 WOODLAND PARK AVE / Parcel ID 2261500135 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick - Common Bond Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Major Bibliographic References
U.S. Census Records (1880-1920)
King County Tax Assessor Records, ca. 1932-1972.
City of Seattle DPD Microfilm Records.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1910-1940.

Photo collection for 3626 WOODLAND PARK AVE / Parcel ID 2261500135 / Inv # 0

Photo taken May 09, 2009
App v2.0.1.0