Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 170 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 3037200076 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: American Foursquare Neighborhood: Central Area
Built By: Year Built: 1900
This is a interesting example of American Foursquare architecture incorporating residual elements of Queen Anne Spindlework design. The structure’s design integrity has been compromised by the early addition of a full basement, by replacement of most of the windows, and by alterations to the porch.

This is one of approximately 2,200 houses that are still extant out of more than 5,000 that were built by the end of 1906 in Seattle’s Central Area, Eastlake, First Hill, Leschi, Madison Park, Madrona, and North Capitol Hill neighborhoods.

A complete permit history, and a complete record of ownership and occupation have not yet been prepared for this property. The structure appears to have been owned by Isreal Nahmias from about 1924 until about 1929; however, the notation recording this information
on the King County Property Record Card is nearly obliterated by at stamp reading "King Co.Tax Deed #13369." An additional notation suggests that the house was owned by the City of Seattle from about 1929 until at least 1937. Ventura Nahmias appears to have acquired the property in 1946. The current owner purchased the property in 1992.


King County GIS Center Property Report (; accessed July 30, 2008)

King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972) Washington State Archives

This is a two story, drop siding clad, wood frame single-family residence on a concrete and post and beam foundation, over a full basement. The structure appears to have functioned as a duplex when it was surveyed by the Assessor in 1937.

The essentially rectangular plan is made irregular by structures appended at the rear of the house. The building is capped by a hip roof with moderate overhangs and enclosed soffits.

The windows, mostly tall double-hung units, are characterized by patterns and details customarily associated with Queen Anne design. The spindlework detailing at the porch and the cutaway bay in the street facade just south of the porch are also Queen Anne elements; however, the regularity of the basic plan, the use of the inset porch, and the continuity of the wall surfaces are foursquare details that anticipate early 20th century styles.

This house was built in 1900. The structure was original constructed on a post and beam foundation; however, it appears a concrete foundation and full basement were added to the building at some point after 1937. Notations on the King County Property Record Card also suggest that a large wood shed at the rear of the structure was demolished and a basement garage added, perhaps when the new foundation was constructed. The entry steps have been rebuilt and the porch rail has been modified.

The original windows appear to have been replaced with aluminum sash. The cladding appears to be relatively new at the basement level, and the trim details at the body of the house have been simplified.

Detail for 170 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 3037200076 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood, Wood - Drop siding Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured, Post & Pier
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 170 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 3037200076 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Nov 29, 2007
App v2.0.1.0