This 5, 500 square foot wood frame commercial building was constructed in circa 1917. During the 1930’s this building housed a Japanese retail store, Tazuma 10cent Store, and Chikata Drugs, at the front, while the Black and Tan jazz club was conducted out of the back rooms by an African American. The Black & Tan Club has been noted as significant in the history of the Seattle Jazz scene, which was centered on Jackson Street, especially in the pre-World War II era. Today it serves as a retail space for a Chinese grocery and herb store and its former associations are no longer apparent, as the building has been extensively altered.
DeBarros, Paul. Jackson Street After Hours: The Roots of Jazz in Seattle. Seattle, WA: Sasquatch Books, 1993.