Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 117-123 John ST / Parcel ID 198920-1395 / Inv #

Historic Name: Pittsburgh Apartments #2 Common Name: The Pittsburgh
Style: Colonial - Georgian Revival Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1907
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This is an excellent example of early apartment development, dating from 1907. It was during this decade that apartments mushroomed on Queen Anne, to accommodate the vast influx of new arrivals, many of whom were young singles. In the years following the 1897 Klondike gold rush the city grew dramatically, doubling doubling between 1890 and 1900 and nearly tripling again by 1910, to 237,194. Also in this period (1903-11) the western half of Denny Hill to the south was sluiced into Elliott Bay, opening up access to Queen Anne. The Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition also attracted apartment development, as people anticipated the large number of visitors, many traveling some distance to stay for weeks or months. These two identical buildings are part of a complex that includes a third building (125 Warren Avenue N.), in a different style, but built in the same year. All are known as the Pittsburgh and have the same ownership. These buildings have been changed slightly throgh the removal of the original terra cotta balustrades along the parapet, probably following an earthquake. Earthquake repairs were also made by the engineering firm Coughlin Porter Lundeen following the 2001 earthquake. Some interior alterations, including new cabinetry, were made in 1932 by architects Hancock and Lockman, for owner F. W. Coleman. A garage was added at the rear in 1930.
These twin apartment buildings are clad with smooth red brick on the front, with rougher brick on the sides and rear. The brick below the concrete water table is darker red. There is a narrow dentilled cornice. Each building has a center entry with a gabled portico supported by round columns. The entry has a wood and glass door set in an alcove with walls clad in white ceramic tile. Above each entry is a small three-sided multipaned oriel window. Flanking the entries are two-story segmental arched bays supported by large curved brackets. Each bay has a large one-over-one window on each floor; the second floor windows are arched. Spandrels between the windows are wood panels, also seen around the top of the arch. Most other windows are one-over-one wood sash with concrete sills. The east elevation has two three-sided two-story bays with cast concrete trim.

Detail for 117-123 John ST / Parcel ID 198920-1395 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Domestic - Multiple Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.

Photo collection for 117-123 John ST / Parcel ID 198920-1395 / Inv #

Photo taken Aug 30, 2004

Photo taken Aug 30, 2004
App v2.0.1.0