Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3238 NW 56th ST NW / Parcel ID 1176000885 / Inv #

Historic Name: Rhoades, C. F. House Common Name: Rhoades House
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Ballard Interbay Manufacturing Industrial Center
Built By: Year Built: 1904
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Rhoades House was constructed in 1904. In 1903, after living in Seattle and Ballard for six years, Cordelia F. Rhoades (b. ca 1849) and husband Charles (b. ca 1841) purchased two lots on the west side of Ballard. These lots had just been placed on the market by Widow Anna Brygger. On about November 30, 1903 the Town of Ballard issued Cordelia F. Rhoades (also spelled Rhodes and Rhoads) a building permit which the Seattle Daily Bulletin published 2 ½ weeks later “CF Rhoades, residence, 830 State st, $2,000.” After Seattle annexed Ballard in 1908 the address changed from 830 State Street to 3238 NW 56th Street. By the spring 1904, Charles, Cordelia, and adult sons Arthur & Earle Rhoades were living there. Charles had a variety of jobs in Seattle; weaver for a furniture manufacturer, painter, clerk, bookkeeper, traveling salesman, and in 1902 before the first automobiles arrived, the Polk directory listed his occupation as “vehicles.” Charles Rhoades might have sold horse drawn wagons and carriages. Arthur worked for Curtiss Hardware, first as a bookkeeper before Curtiss promoted him to an officer of the company that employed about 35 men and women. In 1908, he became the company Secretary of the company. Earle was a traveling salesman, going from town to town, by train and steamboat, wholesaling coffee, teas and later lamps. The Rhoades had to walk nearly half a mile to 24th Avenue NW to catch the Ballard streetcar to downtown Seattle. They lived in the house for seven years, before moving to north Ballard. Later occupants. During World War II, paperhanger Charles A. and wife Clementine D. Greer lived in the house. By the late 1940s, the house was converted into a duplex. Miller Auto Service body man Glen D. and wife Florence Lanham lived in one half and Vitalis A. and Jorun Marckx and Ernest C and Agnes Nelson lived in the other half of the duplex. Marckx and Nelson both worked at Greenwood Tavern. By 1954, Stephen E. Bennett, an equipment operator for Boeing, and wife Jennie K. divided the duplex with Underwood Typewriter serviceman Edward W. and Ruby Lippincott. Eight years later widow Ruby Lippincott still lived in the duplex. The residence appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (over 100 years old) and minimal alterations. Sources (see below for complete citation): Seattle of To-Day. pp. 170-171
Near the end of November 1903 the City of Ballard issued a building permit to C. F. Rhoades for a residence valued at $2,000 located at 830 State Street (previous address) (Seattle Daily Bulletin Dec. 18, 1903 p. 3). In 1922 a permit was issued to repair fire damage to the roof, etc. (permit # 214253). The Rhoades House has elements of the Queen Anne style. The hip and gable roof has eave brackets. Gable dormer on east elevation. The south elevation has a curved wrap around porch with replaced porch posts. A half circular window is set in south elevation gable end. Two story three sided bay window on east elevation. House reclad with shingles.

Detail for 3238 NW 56th ST NW / Parcel ID 1176000885 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1904-1905) 4 volumes.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1916-1919) volumes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1949-1950 update) 11 volumes.
Seattle Daily Bulletin
Seattle of To-Day, Illustrated. Seattle: National Publishing Company, ca. 1908.

Photo collection for 3238 NW 56th ST NW / Parcel ID 1176000885 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 23, 2004
App v2.0.1.0