This commercial building is in the Uptown neighborhood.
By 1938, the Mecca Café moved into the 526 Queen Anne Avenue N space from the adjacent space in the building to the south. The business has remained in this space through 2018.
In 1949 the Mecca Café was one of the first businesses in Seattle to get liquor license under Initiative 171, the Washington Alcohol Regulations by the Drink Initiative. This measure reduced the number of alcohol serving licenses within the state. With a license in hand, the Mecca Café and Tavern undertook a substantial renovation in 1950 resulting in the existing storefront. Greene & Tiffany designed these storefronts. Charles A. Tiffany stamped the drawings and was licensed as an engineer. The drawings were dated September 1, 1950. This work designed the existing storefront and interior layout with two counters, an ice cream bar and a series of booths down the center of the space, and a glass enclosed pin ball room.
Charles Tiffany was born ca. 1904 in Washington and by 1930 was listed as an engineer. He was married to Lucile Tiffany.
Year: 1930; Census Place: Seattle, King, Washington; Page: 33B; Enumeration District: 0400; FHL microfilm: 2342227
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed., Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Guide to the Architects (Seattle, University of Washington Press: 2014), 2nd edition.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938–1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890–1996.
Seattle Daily Times, March 26, 1949: 3.