Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2208 14th AVE / Parcel ID 2771601470 / Inv #

Historic Name: Kellogg House Common Name: Kellogg House
Style: Queen Anne - Stick Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1892
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Kellogg House was constructed about 1892. Just a year after he plats Gilman's subdivision, developer Daniel Gilman sold a lot to Edward C. Kellogg (b. 1848). By 1881, Wisconsin born Edward Kellogg had moved to Nebraska and with his recently married wife Jennie (b. 1862) started raising a family. Just after the 1889 Seattle Fire, the family arrived in Seattle and Edward started working as an accountant for a sawmill. By 1891 the West Street and North End Electric Railway Company hired him as a cashier and quickly promoted him to auditor. The new technologies of electricity and electric streetcars had been in Seattle for just over two years. The West Street and North End Railway just completed their streetcar line from Seattle to the recently established town of Ballard. In September 1891, Edward Kellogg felt financially secure enough to build his first house, so he purchased a lot from Gilman and got a mortgage to construct one. The property was located just a block from the West Street and North End streetcar line that ran along 15th Avenue NW to Ballard. It is possible that the house was completed by the end of 1891 but likely was completed in early 1892. By no later then spring 1892 the Kelloggs with two sons and a daughter, ages 10, 9, 7, moved in and lived in the house for seven years. Within a year after they moved in, Kellogg became an officer of the streetcar line. The 1893 Panic started a deep depression that lasted four years and forced nearly every Seattle streetcar line into bankruptcy. By 1895 Kellogg became a storekeeper for the Union Electric Company, the result of some of the streetcar lines merging to reduce expenses. Kellogg resigned as storekeeper and became an accountant when the summer 1897 Klondike gold rush started ending Seattle’s depressed economy. In 1900, the Kelloggs moved to a house at 1328 6th Avenue. Later occupants. In 1928, widow Clara Ostrand lived in the house. Ten years later another widow Laura M. McRae lived in the house with David G. Jr. and Doris Wallace. During World War II, Laura McRae lived with Mrs. Louise Wallace. By the late 1940s, Seattle Transit driver Daniel Perkoskey and his wife Sylvia lived in the house. In the mid 1950s carpenter Lewis and Nina L. Dakan moved in. In the early 1960s Seattle fire fighter Robert J. Robillard resided there. The 1975 Historic Seattle Survey of Queen Anne listed the Kellogg House as Significant to the Community. It was also surveyed for the 1979 Seattle Inventory Field Survey. The house was constructed during Seattle's first significant building boom. Very few Seattle residences exist from this period. The residence appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (over 100 years old),Queen Anne stick style, and minimal alterations. In 1905 the house address was 2210 14th Ave W. Sources: Meany, Living Pioneers … p. 43 "Kellogg Rites Will Be Monday" Clipping File B4 July 20, 1944, Seattle Public Library, Seattle Room.
The Queen Anne Stick style Kellogg House was constructed about 1892. A 12 x 20 foot rear addition may have existed prior to 1892 or added to the house between 1892 and 1905. The 'T' gable form has barge boards on each gable end. The full width porch on west elevation has Doric columns supporting a shed roof. Double hung window sashes are two over two. Some windows replaced. Sometime after 1937 it was converted into a duplex.

Detail for 2208 14th AVE / Parcel ID 2771601470 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Drop siding Foundation(s): Post & Pier
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Seattle Inventory Field Form. 1979.
Meany, Edmond S. Living Pioneers of Washington. Seattle, Seattle Genealogical Society, 1995.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1904-1905) 4 volumes.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1916-1919) volumes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1949-1950 update) 11 volumes.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. “Queen Anne: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources.” Seattle: Historic Seattle, 1975.

Photo collection for 2208 14th AVE / Parcel ID 2771601470 / Inv #

Photo taken Dec 23, 2004
App v2.0.1.0