Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 717 W Garfield ST W / Parcel ID 186060-0065 / Inv #

Historic Name: Waechter, H. F., House Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Swiss Chalet, Tudor Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1914
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This large house was designed in 1914 by the Beezer Brothers for Harry Waechter and his wife Mary. Waechter was the president of Waechter Brothers, a livestock dealer. His brother, Ollie, was vice-president of the company, and also built a house designed by the Beezer Brothers nearby at 700 W. Lee Street. Later owners were Walter Hinz, president of the Commonwealth Credit Corporation and Rainier Finance Company, and his wife Madeline (1939-41) and Abner Ferguson (1940s). The house evidently sat vacant for some time and was purchased in the later 1940s by Michael Dederer, president of the Seattle Fur Exchange, and his wife Josephine. They remained until at least the 1970s. Twin brothers Louis and Michael Beezer began their architectural practice in 1909, and had many commissions throughout the Northwest, Alaska and California, through the 1920s. Originally from Pennsylvania, they entered the construction and architecture fields there. By 1900 they had a thriving Pittsburgh practice, specializing in churches and residences. By 1909 they had established a practice in Seattle. They are particularly known for their work for the Catholic Church. Besides St. Anne's School, they designed Blessed Sacrament Church ((1909-11; 1922-25), Immaculate Conception School and rectory (1909-1914); and St. Joseph School and rectory (1919-1923). They were also known for their residences, especially the O. D. Fisher residence on Capitol Hill (1908-09). After World War I, much of their work was outside of Seattle, with major commissions in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Walla Walla. Louis established the office in San Francisco, where he died in 1929; Michael retired in 1932 and died the following year.
This house is at the top of a steep lot, rising 2-1/2 stories; an arched double garage, of concrete, is located at the bottom of the lot, on Quen Anne Boulevard. The entire area is heavily landscaped, obscuring much of the front of the house. The main entry is at the top, on West Garfield Street. It is sheltered by a gabled roof supported by two pairs of square wood posts; the bargeboards are highly decorated with an oak leaf pattern. Above is a gable with a pair of eight-light casement windows; similar windows are found in the two small dormers on the west side. The lower floors are clad with red brick, with large transomed windows looking out to the view. The upper story is half-timbered, with multipaned large windows (a sun porch) on the west and south elevations. The west side, visible above Queen Anne Boulevard, has a large two-story projecting bay with a terrace on top and a three-part window with ten-light side panels and two dormers with 12-light casement windows. The first floor has large transomed windows. The south side has a large gabled bay. The east side has a hipped bay with a newer porch with carved brackets.

Detail for 717 W Garfield ST W / Parcel ID 186060-0065 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 717 W Garfield ST W / Parcel ID 186060-0065 / Inv #

Photo taken Feb 04, 2003

Photo taken Jul 06, 2004
App v2.0.1.0