Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3216 S DOSE TER S / Parcel ID 2087700050 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1916
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1916, this building had an addition added in 1923. W. H. Bean purchased the building in January of 1932 and remained through 1940. By 1943, Lincoln F. Cadigan lived in the house. Emil G. Sundfelt purchased the building in August of 1940. Fehl A. Carter bought the building in May of 1950 and remained through 1955. In April of 1956, Sidney N. Weiner purchased the property for $17,500 and remained through 1961. H. Otis Pond, Junior purchased the building in March of 1962 for $21,500 and remained through 1968. Charles P. Dose and his son, architect Charles C. Dose, platted the Dose Addition in 1906 on ten acres along South Walker Street between Thirth-First Avenue South and Lake Washington. Charles P. Dose was a German immigrant and a real estate businessman and banker originally based in Chicago. In 1871, Mr. Dose and his partners, Fricke Brothers, purchased a 40-acre tract of property in Seattle’s future Mount Baker District on Lake Washington. In 1898, he moved from Chicago to Seattle with his family. Charles C. Dose designed houses in the subdivision. The Dose family lived in one, and then sold it and built another. The Dose’s first house in the plat was a cottage at Thirty-First Avenue South and South Walker Street. The Dose Addition had the same restrictions on non-white ownership as Mount Baker Park. The Dose family, especially Mrs. Charles C. (Phoebe) Dose, was actively involved in the creation of the Mount Baker Park Improvement Club. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.

Detail for 3216 S DOSE TER S / Parcel ID 2087700050 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Wood - Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
De Freece, Helen N, “Reminiscences of Early Years in Mount Baker Park,” Seattle Times, August 16, 1959.
Dose, C.P. “Autobiography of C.P. Dose.” Seattle: unpublished paper, September 1924.

Photo collection for 3216 S DOSE TER S / Parcel ID 2087700050 / Inv #

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0