Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1704 22nd AVE / Parcel ID 1822300150 / Inv #

Historic Name: Kreyscher/Johnson House Common Name:
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1905
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Kreyscher/Johnson House was constructed in 1905. Pennsylvania native William H. Kreyscher, born to German parents in 1866, arrived in Seattle about 1900 with Ann (b. 1858), his bride of five years, and Ann, their five year old daughter. Booming Seattle was in the midst of a building spree and Kreyscher, a house builder and archite ct moved, to the northwest to benefit from it. Although he took commissions to design residences, Kreyscher devoted most of his time to purchasing vacant land, building homes, and selling them to the influx of newcomers. During late winter of 1904-1905, he purchased four lots and on April 6 acquired a building permit (#34095)to build "4 - 1 story frame Cottages," each measuring 24 x 36 feet. The addresses for the houses were 1700-1704-1708-1712 22nd Avenue South. He went right to work building them. Apparently during construction, Kreyscher decided to increase the size of the residences. When he completed the houses by July, each house measured 24 x 48 feet. Kreyscher continued constructing Seattle houses for another year when he sold out and moved out of town. Olaf Johnson, apparently was the first to live in the house. By 1910, Johnson had left and newlyweds Peter and Hattie Mattson purchased the house and moved in. Born in Denmark in 1871, Peter Mattson, at the age of 11, immigrated to the United States with his parents. The Mattsons married at about the time they moved to Seattle and they purchased the Kreyscher/Johnson House. Peter Mattson, a salesman for Merritt Realty, and Hattie lived in the house for five years before they sold it to the Mooney family. James Mooney (b. 1855) and his wife Mary (b. 1860) were both born in Ireland. They immigrated to the United States and by about 1900 moved west to California. The following year they purchased the house from Mattson and lived there through the end of World War I. During the war years, James Mooney and his son Edward (b. ca 1902), worked for one of Seattle's many shipyards building ships for the war effort. Daughter Helen worked as a messenger for Frederick and Nelson's department store. The youngest children; Agnes (b. ca 1905) and Clara (b. ca 1909), attended school. By 1921 Bert Pelligrini purchased the house. The residence appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (about 100 years old), and minimal alterations. The two similar adjacent vernacular houses, designed and built by the same architect makes for a unique group of residences from this period.
The Kreyscher/Johnson House is a vernacular front gable house. Full width recessed porch with heavy posts support the roof. Three sided bay window on south elevation. Gable window on west elevation replaced with vent in original surrounds.

Detail for 1704 22nd AVE / Parcel ID 1822300150 / Inv #

Classication: District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Drop siding Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 1704 22nd AVE / Parcel ID 1822300150 / Inv #

Photo taken Jun 05, 2005
App v2.0.1.0