Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 108 2nd Ave Extension / Parcel ID 5247800960 / Inv #

Historic Name: 408 2nd Avenue Extension S. Common Name: Leighton Center/ Leroy Helms Center/ Harbor Light
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Pioneer Square
Built By: Year Built: 1909
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
The original structure was built in 1909. The building’s facade was visibly divided into three bays and had storefronts at the ground level and three large bay windows at the top level. By 1941, Josiah Collins was an owner of the property. The building was occupied by the Salvation Army for many years and its name was the Salvation Army Harbor Light Building, also known commonly as “Harbor Light.” A 1967 remodel was extensive and irreversible. The building exterior has lost it historical architectural integrity. Although it fits into the district in terms of height and scale, it is non-contributing. A late 1990s remodel by Kovalenko Hale Architects stayed true to the 1967 remodel of the façade and is an improvement on the building’s 1967 appearance. The interior remodel created artists’ live/ work spaces. The site of the building was, at one time, thought to be the site of the original City Hall, but in fact the original City Hall was located at the site of the current park next to King County Courthouse.
This is a two story building with a basement level, located along Fortson Square. The foundation and basement are of concrete, while the original exterior walls are mostly of concrete, which has been stuccoed. A rear alley wall is wood frame construction and was covered in the 1990s with metal siding. The plan of the building is roughly 60 feet by 104 ½ feet and very slightly irregular. While the building retains it overall shape and the three large window openings at the second level, it was significantly altered and modernized in 1967. The only obvious vestiges of historic fabric or detailing remain in the raised pattern on the soffit of the overhang that runs the length of the façade and in the repeated metal brackets under it. Lower level storefronts were replaced by two entries to the north and a series of punched window openings.

Detail for 108 2nd Ave Extension / Parcel ID 5247800960 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status: NR, LR
Cladding(s): Metal - Aluminum Siding, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Business Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Mixed No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Community Planning/Development
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Storefront: Extensive
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Tax Assessor Records, ca. 1932-1972.
Brians, Ann Elizabeth. Indomitable Pioneer Square. Master of Urban Planning Thesis, University of Washington, Seattle, 1973.
“Campbell Fuller Building, 207 Yesler Way, Historic Preservation Certification Application, Part 1,” 27 April 1979.

Photo collection for 108 2nd Ave Extension / Parcel ID 5247800960 / Inv #

Photo taken Jul 12, 2004
App v2.0.1.0