Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 5512 S Morgan ST S / Parcel ID 8835400705 / Inv #

Historic Name: Slauson House Common Name: Slauson House
Style: Colonial - Dutch Colonial Neighborhood: North Rainier Valley
Built By: Year Built: 1900
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Slauson House was constructed about 1900. The Slausons moved to the city soon after the 1889 Seattle Fire. Howard Slauson (ca 1860 - ca 1926), was a partner in Langley & Slauson, a Pioneer Square legal firm. Celeste Langley Slauson, Howard's wife, taught at the Seattle Conservatory of Arts until 1893, when the economic Panic of that year forced its closure. She then went out on her own and for about nine years taught elocution. By early summer of 1900, the Slauson's purchased one lot in Brighton Beach, a community located just outside of Seattle's city limits. Relative Joseph Slauson, a carpenter, also lived in Brighton Beach, and might have constructed the house. By the end of the year the house was complete and the Slauson's moved in. About this time Howard retired from the legal profession and became interested in horticulture. In 1907 he established himself as a florist, and for the next decade grew and sold flowers. Sometime after 1902, Celeste Slauson died and in 1906 Howard Slauson married Alice Slauson (b. ca 1872). By 1910, the Slauson house had a population of eight; including Howard, Alice, Howard's three children - Sarah, Celeste, and Howard, Jr. (ages 12 to 8), Howard's 80 year old mother Sarah, Nobuzio Matoba, a 25 year old Japanese who tended Slauson's gardens, and Kittie Eligh (b. ca 1878) who worked for Slauson as a clerk. In 1919 Howard apparently made another career change and got a job as a stock-keeper for the University of Washington. When Howard Slauson died about 1926, Alice sold the house and moved to the Queen Anne neighborhood. In the late 1920s carpenter Fred and Viola Bergeson lived in the house. By World War II Jack F. and Betty J. Parker resided there. Jack contributed to the war effort by working as a pipe-fitter for the Todd Shipyards. Varient address: 5416 S Morgan St The Slauson House appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (over 100 years old) and minimal alterations.
The Dutch Colonial Slauson House has a full width recessed porch on the east elevation that looks out towards Lake Washington. Two shed dormers and one hip dormer. First floor south elevation original double hung windows replaced with single pane windows. Three sided bay window on south elevation.

Detail for 5512 S Morgan ST S / Parcel ID 8835400705 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured, Stone
Roof Type(s): Gambrel Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 5512 S Morgan ST S / Parcel ID 8835400705 / Inv #

Photo taken Jan 05, 2005
App v2.0.1.0