Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4229 3rd AVE / Parcel ID 2516000575 / Inv #

Historic Name: Anderson, W.H. House Common Name: Anderson House
Style: Queen Anne Neighborhood: Fremont
Built By: Year Built: 1902
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Wm. H. Anderson House was constructed in 1902. In 1899, Wisconsin natives William Anderson (ca 1856-1918) and wife Harriet E. (b. 1859) with their two Minnesota born daughters, arrived in the Ross neighborhood located north of Queen Anne hill. They arrived at the beginning of a Seattle building boom that would last a decade. Son of German parents, Anderson, a house painter and occasional carpenter, moved to Seattle to take advantage of the influx of new Seattle residents. On March 4, 1902, the Seattle Building Department issued a permit to owner and builder Anderson, to construct the family home at 4229 3rd Ave NW. At about the time the Andersons moved into their house, the Seattle Electric Company was constructing a Fremont-Ballard streetcar line that ran just two blocks from the house. During their residence, the Andersons had a few boarders. In 1910 Eva Whitney, a steam ship company secretary, and Grace Winter, a dental assistant, took two rooms. After the ca. 1918 death of William Anderson, widow Harriet moved to the west side of Queen Anne. Later occupants. By the late 1920s Gladys Warfield resided there; in the late 1930s laborer Antone R. and Emma V. DeCorto [or DeCoito] lived in the house; and from World War II into the 1950s Robert and Charlotte Douglas occupied the house. Robert Douglas worked as a brick mason. By 1962, widow Douglas still occupied the house. The Historic Seattle Survey building survey listed the house as Significant to the Fremont Community. The 1979 Seattle Historic Resources Survey described the house as "architecturaly distinctive". The Wm. H. Anderson House appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (over 100 years old) and minimal alterations
On March 4, 1902, W. H. Anderson acquired a building permit for 24 x 44 cottage (# 12814). The one and a half story Queen Anne style house has a one and a half story turret on the southeast corner. East elevation has a open porch with Doric columns supporting a flat roof. The east slope of the hip roof has a hip dormer. The south elevation has a gable wall dormer over a three sided bay window. North elevation has a box bay window. The exterior chimney has been removed from the north elevation. Some double hung windows have beveled sash. Upper floor has fish scale shingles.

Detail for 4229 3rd AVE / Parcel ID 2516000575 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Block, Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Varied roof lines Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Seattle Inventory Field Form. 1979.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1904-1905) 4 volumes.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1916-1919) volumes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1949-1950 update) 11 volumes.
Seattle Daily Bulletin
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. “Fremont: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources.” Seattle: Historic Seattle, 1975.

Photo collection for 4229 3rd AVE / Parcel ID 2516000575 / Inv #

Photo taken Dec 23, 2004
App v2.0.1.0