Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1525 6th AVE / Parcel ID 4232902840 / Inv #

Historic Name: Wynn, Lucy House Common Name: Wynn/Manter House
Style: American Foursquare Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1904
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Wynn/Manter House was constructed in 1904. On July 21, 1904, shortly after Lucy Wynn (b. ca 1849) acquired some Queen Anne property, she procured a building permit for a “1 ½ story frame cottage” 28 x 36 feet. Wynn hired Norman M. Beers (b. 1870) to build the house. In 1888 Beers and his wife Jessica (b. 1871) sailed from England to the United States and moved to Seattle in 1900 near the beginning of a building boom that would last most of the decade. Beers continued his trade in Seattle as a carpenter and building contractor until his death about 1923. The building plans submitted by Beers were probably plans he acquired from house catalogs or plan books since there is no evidence he was an architect. The Wynns moved in after Beers completed the house, which probably took three to four months to build. The family members included Lucy Wynn, son Edward L. (b. ca 1869), his wife Maud (b. ca 1873), and a six-year old daughter. Lucy Wynn (also spelled Winans and Wienn) was born, raised, and started a family in Ohio. Sometime after losing her husband she headed west with her son Edward and by 1904 they arrived in Seattle. Edward Wynn held numerous jobs including tailor, musician, and piano tuner. To get downtown, the Wynns walked six blocks to Olympic Place and Prospect to catch the streetcar line. The Wynns apparently had some financial difficulties because after living in the house for two years they deeded the property to realtor William Harper who held their mortgage. In May 1907, Harper sold the house to Charles Manter (1864-1913). Manter’s family included his wife of 11 years Sarette M. (b. ca 1869), daughter Sarette (b. ca 1898), and his wife’s parents John F. (b. ca 1837) and Sarah M. (b. ca 1847) McDonald. Massachusetts native Charles Manter, at the age of 23, moved to Puget Sound to work on steamboats. Manter advanced from mate to pilot to captain while he worked on many Puget Sound tugboats, including Captain of the Sea Lion, one of Puget Sound’s best known tugboats. After living in Port Townsend from 1887 to 1901, Manter moved to Seattle. In 1907, about the time he moved into his Queen Anne home, Manter, captain of the tugboat Sea Lion, towed the former famous clipper ship America, whose owners had recently converted the clipper into a barge. He towed the barge full of iron ore from Prince of Wales Island, Alaska to a Tacoma smelter. In March 1909, Manter transferred from the Sea Lion to the brand new powerful 151-foot long tug Goliah that could obtain a top speed of 13 knots. His first job was to tow barges of sandstone from Waldron Island to Grays Harbor for the jetty that was under construction. The Captain also commanded tugboats Richard Holyoke and Nyadda. Manter died January 13, 1913 in Ketchikan, Alaska. Widow Sarette Maud lived in the house until 1917. Later occupants. In the late 1920s, insurance agent V. A. and Molly Becht lived in the house. By 1934, Edward P. and Lucille S. Donnelly moved into the house. Edward Donnelly, who worked as a mining engineer died after the end of World War II and widow Lucille S. Donnelly continued to occupy the residence. She worked as a US Navy sail maker before she transferred to US Naval Air Station at Sand Point. By 1962, she married Wendell D. Bogart. Variant address. From 1904 to 1906 the house address is listed as 1523 6th Ave W. The residence appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (at least 100 years old) and minimal alterations.
The vernacular foursquare Wynn/Manter House was completed in 1904. The hip roof has eave brackets. The east elevation full width recessed porch has tapered square columns. The second floor of the east elevation has an interesting recessed balcony with a circular railing. Two double hung eight over one windows surround the balcony. Three bay windows including a two sided bay window on the north elevation and a two-story three sided bay window on the south elevation. The bottom of the second floor has a slight flair just above a trim that is topped with buttons. Some windows have altered surrounds. Unique style for a residential building constructed prior to 1906.

Detail for 1525 6th AVE / Parcel ID 4232902840 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1904-1905) 4 volumes.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1916-1919) volumes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1949-1950 update) 11 volumes.
Seattle Daily Bulletin

Photo collection for 1525 6th AVE / Parcel ID 4232902840 / Inv #

Photo taken Dec 23, 2004
App v2.0.1.0