Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 165 Lee ST / Parcel ID 715920-0020 / Inv #

Historic Name: Lindenmeyer, Paul & Carol, House Common Name:
Style: Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1931
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This Tudor-inspired house was designed in 1931 by local architect Albert A. Geiser, who designed a number of other homes and apartments on Queen Anne, including the house next door at 161 Lee Street. . The design combines various Tudor elements with steep gables, a turret and simple decorative brickwork. The builder was Frank H. Bennett, for the C. G. Morrison Company, a real estate investment firm. Being completed during the Depression, it may have been vacant or rented for some time before being purchased. The first identified owners were Edward and Hazel Lybeck (1934), followed by Milton Joseph (1941), Clifford Gates (1940s-50s) and John and Moselle Miller (1960s-70s). The current owner has the longest tenure, since the 1970s.
This house design is the English Cottage variant of the Tudor Revival style. Cladding is primarily brick, now painted white, with projecting bricks in a random pattern. Clapboard covers the turret, the dormer and the gable ends. The main volume has a steep side gabled roof, with a large front gable and a smaller gabled entry with a copper hood. The large gable has a tall one-over-one double-hung window in the center, with two smaller diamond-paned casement windows placed asymmetrically to the north. On the first story is a three-part window with a 20-light leaded center section flanked by 10-light casements. At the point where the large gable joins the roof (on the north side) is a short conical turret with a single leaded casement window. Beneath the turret is an arched secondary entry, facing west. On the other side of the gable is a shed roof dormer with a one-over-one window. Windows elsewhere are mostly 10-light leaded casement sash. The west side has a shallow clapboard-clad bay with brackets. In 1978 a roof deck was added on the rear (south).

Detail for 165 Lee ST / Parcel ID 715920-0020 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 165 Lee ST / Parcel ID 715920-0020 / Inv #

Photo taken Feb 05, 2003
App v2.0.1.0