Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2416 4th AVE / Parcel ID 352890-0456 / Inv #

Historic Name: Wood, David & Marie, House Common Name:
Style: Colonial - Dutch Colonial Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1923
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This house, built in 1923, is an unusual variation of the Dutch Colonial style, which was one of the most popular on Queen Anne and in other Seattle neighborhoods during the 1920s. It is unusually ornate, with arched parapets piercing the eaves. Little is known about its early history, as the building permit has not been located. It was purchased in 1938 by David and Marie Wood, who lived here during the 1940s. Wood was president of Wood’s Super Service, which owned, at that time, seven service stations throughout the city. Later owners included Milton Lowe, a dentist, and his wife Virginia (1950s) and Merwin and Beverly Johnson, Jr. The current owners have been here since the 1970s.
This house has the gambrel roof and symmetrical façade typical of the Dutch Colonial Revival style. Cladding is wood shingles. All the windows have leaded glass, mostly 6/9 double-hung sash or 10-light casement windows. The facade has three bays, with the center entry bay having a flat-roofed portico topped by a pair of casement windows. Above these is an elaborately-ornamented split pediment that pierces the eaves. The portico has two fluted columns and a door with sidelights; the balustrade on top is being restored. The two side bays each have one leaded glass window on each floor, topped by an arched parapet that rises above the eaves. The pediment, the parapet arches and the lintels of the first-floor windows are all ornamented with swags with floral and shield designs. Between the arches are unusual stained glass windows piercing the eaves. At each end of the house is a stucco-clad chimney, flanked by half-round divided light windows. The north elevation has a single-story wing with an arched leaded window on the front and six-over-one on the sides; fluted pilasters mark the front corners. Above it are two pairs of large 20-light casement windows, flanking the chimney. On the south elevation, set back from the façade, is a gambrel-roofed garage with a small flat-roofed dormer and four-light windows.

Detail for 2416 4th AVE / Parcel ID 352890-0456 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gambrel Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 2416 4th AVE / Parcel ID 352890-0456 / Inv #

Photo taken Feb 27, 2004
App v2.0.1.0