Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1317 Willard AVE / Parcel ID 173280-1155 / Inv #

Historic Name: Allen, Dr. Eugene, House Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Tudor Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1907
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This house was designed for Dr. H. Eugene Allen, a prominent physician, in 1907. The Allen family remained in the house until 1949, when it was purchased by Chester Farquharson, president of the Elite Shade and Linoleum Company. He and his wife Ruth remained here until 1966. At that time it was purchased by Dale Forester, who had a mortgage company, and his wife Marjorie. The house appeared in the 1913 book Homes and Gardens of the Pacific Coast, which noted the "good combination of lines, the composition being all that is desired." The architect, Max Umbrecht came from the East Coast, practicing architecture in Syracuse and New York City before being sent to Seattle in 1900 by the Smith family of Syracuse, who later built the Smith Tower. Umbrecht designed the first Smith Building (1900), the Colonial Block and the John W. Clise House in Redmond, now part of Marymoor Park. He worked in partnership with Walter Spalding between 1908 and 1911. During this time they designed several notable mansions for some of Seattle's most prominent business leaders.
 
Appearance
This house reflects both English Arts & Crafts and Tudor Revival stylistic influences. It has a hip roof with a front gable wing on the west. The second floor projects out over the first. Cladding is brick on the first floor, with stucco and half-timbering on the second floor. Prominent bargeboards on the front gable have Craftsman detailing. The leaded windows are a notable feature with three eight-over-one sash in the front gable and pairs of similar windows elsewhere on the second floor. The two pairs of windows on the main fa├žade pierce through the eaves. First floor windows are primarily 8-light casements. The windows may be replacements of the originals, but are very similar in appearance. A deck extends out from the second floor on the rear elevation, with a patio beneath it. The house looks much as it did in 1913. In 1988, the house had a small addition and some alterations, which are not visible from the front. One chimney has been removed and the other one appears to have been rebuilt. The setting and landscaping is quite formal, with a wrought iron fence with brick piers; the brick appears to be original, although the fencing may have been changed.

Detail for 1317 Willard AVE / Parcel ID 173280-1155 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.
Calvert, Frank. Homes and Gardens of the Pacific Coast. Vol. 1, Seattle. Beaux Arts Village: Beaux Arts Society Publishers, 1913.

Photo collection for 1317 Willard AVE / Parcel ID 173280-1155 / Inv #


Photo taken Mar 13, 2003
App v2.0.1.0