Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4303 13th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400665 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1929
Built in 1929, this building was occupied by Hugh E. and Ola L. Nowlin by 1933 through 1938. The contractor was M. R. Hillman. Mr. Nowlin worked as a watchmaker. By 1943, Anthony C. Kehl lived in the building. By 1951 through 1955, Gertrude L. Spencer occupied the house. By 1957 through 1968, George A. Maes lived in the building. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1929, this compact, Tudor Revival style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Thirteenth Avenue South on a flat site 4’ above street level. This 1374 square foot, one-and-a-half story house with a full basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 34’ by 47’, with a small front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick-clad superstructure. Decorative brickwork highlights the building corners. Asphalt composition roofing covers the gable roof. Nearly flush eaves and gables with rake trim define the roofline. Wood sash multiple-pane leaded windows provide day lighting. An enclosed front stoop provides access to the building interior. Decorative brickwork highlights the arched entrance. An exterior brick gable end chimney with decorative lighter brick highlights services the building.

Detail for 4303 13th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400665 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Brick - Clinker Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 4303 13th AVE / Parcel ID 3959400665 / Inv #

Photo taken Dec 30, 2003

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0