Content for this form was updated in 2018 as part of the Uptown Historic Resources Survey.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the registration requirements established in the National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Listing, Seattle Apartment Buildings, 1900-1957, for a low-rise apartment block.
This Tudor Revival style multi-family building is in the Uptown neighborhood and known as Queen’s Court.
The construction permit was issued in 1930, (permit 90834) to construct the building. The estimated cost was $164,000 to build the apartment building. A second permit was issued related to the basement level garage construction (permit 90835, 97035) issued in 1930, and estimated to cost $2,000. The garage originally provided parking for 25 cars in the basement. The building was built for Benjamin Blackwood, who was based in Bremerton. Architect W. H. Whiteley designed the building. H. R. Powell was the structural engineer.
Renovations in 1944 were designed by architect Howard H. Riley. This work installed kitchen chases in existing apartments. Riley (1890-1950) studied architecture at the University of Pennsylvania before moving to Victoria, B.C. Riley moved to Seattle in 1914 and worked for a year for architect B. Marcus Priteca. Riley then worked with Edwin Ivey from 1918 to 1921 before starting his own practice. His later works included multiple apartment buildings (1924-1926), several mill houses in Port Townsend (1928), and the Fremont Baptist church (1924).
Polk directories first listed the building in 1938 as the Queen’s Court Apartments. They remained under this listing through 1975.
W. H. Whiteley was active within Seattle by 1925 through the 1960s. His work included a range of single family residences, small markets, as well as apartment buildings. In 1932 he served on the architects Committee to represent the Washington chapter of the American Institute of Architects and the Washington State Society of Architects, along with James Taylor, George Wellington Stoddard, and J. Lister Holmes.
Seattle Daily Times project announcements from 1925 through 1961 illustrate a range of projects designed by Whiteley. In 1930, Whiteley designed at least five wood frame, brick veneer apartment buildings, which included work for developers Gratias, Herman Johnson, F. N. McHolland, Victor Sandberg, and Frank B. Taylor. Most were three-story buildings, which included: 19 Ward Street; 427 Bellevue Avenue; 201 Roy Street; 2328 Yale Avenue N; 1127 Olympic Way; and 517 Ninth Avenue. Whiteley also designed multiple single-family houses, including a large home for B. H. Whiting of Cincinnati, Ohio in Des Moines in 1931, a 1939 home for Thomas Gillespieto at 5150 Latimer Place; a house in 1954 at 3615 81st Avenue SE, as well as ranch style homes.
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed., Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Guide to the Architects (Seattle, University of Washington Press: 2014), 2nd edition.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938–1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890–1996.
Washington State Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation. Architect Biographies. “Howard H. Riley.” (Accessed July 19, 2018). https://dahp.wa.gov/historic-preservation/research-and-technical-preservation-guidance/architect-biographies/bio-for-howard-h-riley