Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 917 16th AVE / Parcel ID 1336800095 / Inv #

Historic Name: Loe, Dr. Adolph O., House Common Name:
Style: Beaux Arts - Neoclassical Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1902
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This Classical Revival house is one of the best known in the neighborhood, having been noted as landmark quality in the city’s 1979 historic resources survey and featured in Homes and Gardens of the Pacific Coast (1913) and Classic Houses of Seattle (2005). It was designed by J. Harry Randall in 1902 for Dr. Adolph O. Loe, a prominent physician and member of the German community. This was one of the first houses in the vicinity, as this block is within the original Capitol Hill of James A. Moore, who gave the area its name. In 1900 Moore, who had already developed other Seattle neighborhoods, purchased and began platting 160 acres, roughly between 11th and 20th avenues, from Roy Street north to Galer. Before selling lots for construction, he graded and paved the streets (eliminating the dust that plagued many sections), installed sidewalks, water mains and sewer lines, and planned for street lights and telephone poles. Lots went on sale in 1901, heavily promoted to attract local business leaders as residents. The response was immediate. The quality infrastructure, convenient transportation, schools and other amenities proved to be very popular and the area was largely developed, with sizable, attractive houses, within only a few years.
 
Appearance
This house has a notable two-story portico with Corinthian columns and pilasters flanking the entry and at the corners. The pediment is particularly ornate, decorated with a leaf motif in the center. The hipped roof has a large gabled extension on each side. Flanking the portico on the first floor are two three-part windows, with transoms of triangular pieces of glass in an X pattern; the sidelights flankning the door have a similar pattern. On the second floor are two large eight over one double-hung windows. On the second story a pair of ten-light French doors open onto the balustraded porch, which is set into the portico. Cladding is clapboard, with narrow stringcourses running below the first- and second-floor windows, with a wider course above the first-floor windows

Detail for 917 16th AVE / Parcel ID 1336800095 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Williams, Jacqueline B. The Hill with a Future: Seattle's Capitol Hill 1900-1946. Seattle: CPK Ink, 2001.
Calvert, Frank. Homes and Gardens of the Pacific Coast. Vol. 1, Seattle. Beaux Arts Village: Beaux Arts Society Publishers, 1913.
Swope, Caroline T. Classic Houses of Seattle: High Style to Vernacular 1870-1950. Portland OR: Timber Press, 2005.

Photo collection for 917 16th AVE / Parcel ID 1336800095 / Inv #


Photo taken Dec 05, 2006
App v2.0.1.0