Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3320 LAKEWOOD AVE / Parcel ID 5700004145 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: American Foursquare Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1916
Built in 1916 at a cost of $9400, this building was designed by Seattle architect, Charles Haynes, and owned by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Hunter Tract Improvement Company had offices in the Smith Building. Construction began in the spring of 1916 and was done by July of the same year. Charles H. Winders purchased the building in September of 1920. He hired Seattle architect, E. J. Ivey, to enclose an existing porch to extend a library and to build a new porch. The interior was remodeled in 1927. In 1931, the Winders’ hired contractor, George Beck, to construct a retaining wall. Clyde B. and Ambel C. Rose moved into the building ca 1935. Mr. Rose was a partner in Walter-Rose Company, special agents for the Prudent Insurance Company. The Rose’s remained in the building through 1944. William Y. Baker purchased the house in February of 1948 for $35,000 and lived in the building through 1958. L. M. Knapp purchased the building in May of 1959 for $39,500. George Kamasake purchased the property in June of 1964 for $40,000. Architect Charles Haynes established a Seattle office, Haynes and Cantin, in 1907 and worked in partnership with several other architects over the years. Charles Haynes was the official architect for the Hunter Tract Improvement Company and designed many houses in Mount Baker Park. Among these are the Robert B. Kellogg house (1912) at 2701 Mt. St. Helens Place, the Hunter Improvement Company house (1913) at 2855 Mt. Rainier Drive, the Frank Buty house (1915) at 3704 South Ridgeway Place, and the house (1915) at 2659 Cascadia South. Haynes also designed Butterworth Mortuary in Seattle and many revival style houses, apartment houses and commercial projects in Seattle and Aberdeen. He died in Seattle in 1940. Seattle architect Edwin J. Ivey (1883-1940) worked in partnership with Warren Milner, Joseph Cote, Howard Riley and Joseph Skoog. In later years, he had his own practice. He is probably best known for his residential designs, including the C.W. Stimson (1926) and L.C. Henry (1928) houses in The Highlands. He also designed the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity (1928) at the University of Washington. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
Built in 1916, this American Foursquare style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot overlooking Lake Washington. The building is oriented to Lakewood Avenue South on a sloping site at street level. This 2128 square foot, two-story house with a full daylight basement features an irregular plan, measuring approximately 28’ by 62’, with a front stoop. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the hip roof. Modest open eave overhangs with exposed rafters define the roofline. An internal brick chimney services the building. Pillars support portions of the building’s second story north end, setting the building apart stylistically within the neighborhood.

Detail for 3320 LAKEWOOD AVE / Parcel ID 5700004145 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Foundation(s): Unknown
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 3320 LAKEWOOD AVE / Parcel ID 5700004145 / Inv #

Photo taken Oct 23, 2003

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0