Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1632 4th AVE / Parcel ID 423290-2045 / Inv #

Historic Name: Collins, Cyril & Mary, House Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1913
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This is one of numerous houses on Queen Anne built by Frederick J. Davidson. Davidson, a skilled carpenter, came to Seattle from Canada in 1903. He established himself as a contractor and built more than 150 houses between 1910 and 1929. Many were in the vicinity of the 1200 block of Bigelow Avenue North, an area that he platted. This is one of his earlier (1913) and more modest homes, built for only $1,900. Most were of brick, and were noted for high quality construction and features such as hot water central heat and adequate electrical wiring. Davidson probably built the house on speculation (perhaps from a pattern book design), and the first purchaser is not known. The first identified owners were Cyril Collins, the president of the Dressel-Collins Fish Company, and his wife Margaret, who lived here from 1927 until the 1950s. Later occupants were David LeRoy, a salesman (1970s), and Mrs. Irene Sprague (1980s-90s), the custodian of the nearby Queen Anne Masonic Temple. This house is also notable for its Craftsman detailing, with a gabled dormer and prominent brackets over the entry and on the side elevations.
 
Appearance
This simple side gable Craftsman house has a small recessed entry porch in the center of the main (west) fa├žade, sheltered by a long extension of the deep eaves, with prominent curved brackets. Above is a small gabled dormer with brackets, curved bargeboards and a group of three six-light casement windows with wide wood surrounds; similar small windows are on front and side elevations on the second floor. The first floor has two large fixed pane windows, each flanked by two narrow one-over-one windows. Cladding on the first floor is clapboard; the second floor has alternating wide and narrow bands of shingles. The second floor projects over the first on the side elevations, supported by prominent curved brackets; a central bay has a three-part window similar to those on the front. There is a small porch and a secondary entry on the south elevation. The foundation is of original concrete block, with a water table above.

Detail for 1632 4th AVE / Parcel ID 423290-2045 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Block
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Reinartz, Kay F. Queen Anne: Community on the Hill. Seattle: Queen Anne Historical Society, 1993.

Photo collection for 1632 4th AVE / Parcel ID 423290-2045 / Inv #


Photo taken Feb 02, 2003
App v2.0.1.0