Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1000 14th AVE / Parcel ID 1346300190 / Inv #

Historic Name: Eckstein, Nathan, House Common Name:
Style: Colonial - Georgian Revival Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1915
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This Georgian Revival house was designed by Louis Mendel in 1915 for Nathan Eckstein. Eckstein, born in Bavaria, had arrived in New York in 1888. In 1898, following his marriage to Mina Schwabacher, he came to the Northwest to join her family's wholesale grocery business, the largest in the region. He was so active on the school board, in the Jewish community and in other civic activities that, in 1926, he was named “Seattle’s Most Useful Citizen” by ten social and cultural organizations. He consistently spoke out in favor of causes that he felt would help Seattle progress, while opposing those he saw as detrimental. Nathan Eckstein Middle School was named in his honor in 1950, five years after his death. Although the house appears simple in style compared to its neighbors, the 1937 Assessor's record noted numerous special features including oak and mahogany woodwork, canvas and silk-covered walls, 3 tile fireplaces (one with a gas log), 7 mirrored doors, a clothes dryer, a :vacuum machine," extensive tile work and built-ins including two dressing rooms, two pantries, book cases and a safe. There is a double garage around the corner on E. Ward Street. This stretch of 14th Avenue East was an appropriate location for Eckstein’s home, as it was known as Millionaires' Row, an “Avenue of Mansions” with the homes of many of Seattle's early business leaders. At that time, the street had a spectacular view, thanks to clearcutting, and it was a logical place to build after the west slope and First Hill were developed. The Olmsted Plan recommended that this be a parkway, forming a grand entrance to Volunteer Park. However, the property owners were given control of the street between Prospect and Roy streets. A median strip in the center was planted with shrubs, and each owner added street trees, creating the appearance of an avenue. It became a showplace, attracting dignitaries such as President Harding and busloads of tourists en route to the park. It was the main route for funeral processions going through the park to Lakeview Cemetery, north of the park. To deter the stream of traffic, an ornate gateway was built at Roy Street. But by 1924 traffic had become so bad that property owners petitioned the Park Department to take back control of the street. The gate and the median plantings were removed as a traffic hazard. Louis Mendel (1867-1940) designed this house in 1915, shortly after his partnership with Charles Bebb dissolved. Mendel was also German, having come to the United States in 1882, at the age of fifteen. He worked first in Cleveland and then at various West Coast firms before becoming a draftsman for Bebb for 1899, and a partner in 1901. After 1914, Mendel practiced on his own, primarily designing residences. Following his retirement, he became manager of the Pine Crest Apartments until his death in 1940.
 
Appearance
This is an excellent example of the Federal or Georgian Revival style with a very symmetrical design. It is of wood frame construction with red brick veneer cladding. Although the visible portion is rectangular, a rear wing and two rear porches give it an irregular plan. The side-gabled roof has three prominent pedimented gabled dormers, each with a one-over-one window. The semi-circular entry porch has Classical detailing, a turned balustrade and a flat roof supported by four Tuscan columns. The entry is ornate, with an eleaborate leaded glass fanlight and sidelights. The south façade has a square porch with two pairs of columns and similar detailing to that on the front porch. Windows throughout have one-over-one sash, with a group of three above the front entry, with three windows flanking the center bay on each floor.

Detail for 1000 14th AVE / Parcel ID 1346300190 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce, Ethnic Heritage
Integrity
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Williams, Jacqueline B. The Hill with a Future: Seattle's Capitol Hill 1900-1946. Seattle: CPK Ink, 2001.
Swope, Caroline T. Classic Houses of Seattle: High Style to Vernacular 1870-1950. Portland OR: Timber Press, 1905.
Cone, Molly, Howard Droker, Jacqueline Williams. Family of Strangers, Building a Jewish Community in Washngton State. Seattle: Washington State Jewish Historical Society, 2003.

Photo collection for 1000 14th AVE / Parcel ID 1346300190 / Inv #


Photo taken Feb 11, 2007

Photo taken Mar 07, 2006
App v2.0.1.0