Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2315 4th AVE / Parcel ID 0656000605 / Inv #

Historic Name: Hewitt's Café Common Name: Two Bells
Style: Spanish - Eclectic Neighborhood: Belltown
Built By: Year Built: 1923
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
This small café building is a fine example of innovative 1920s ornamentation, and is one of the most intact small downtown buildings. It is one of several Belltown buildings designed by George Wellington Stoddard of Stoddard & Son. Stoddard (1896-1967) entered into partnership with his father, Lewis M. Stoddard, following his graduation from the University of Illinois. Following his father’s death in 1929, he practiced alone until 1955, and then practiced in partnership with Francis Huggard. He designed larger homes, as well as apartment buildings, clinics, banks and other commercial structures. His best known works are Memorial Stadium at Seattle Center (1947) and the Green Lake Aqua Theater (1950). After the death of his father in 1929, George Wellington Stoddard continued to practice until 1955, completing such well-known works as the Green Lake Aqua Theater, Memorial Stadium and numerous homes, apartments and commercial buildings. The building has always contained a café or tavern, along with other small stores. The current tenant has been there for many years, and has expanded to the center storefront. An Italian language school occupies the remaining space. The building has a U-shaped plan, with two wings at the rear that originally contained fourteen garage stalls. In 1953 Hewitt’s Café converted the rear to a banquet room.
The one-story building is of masonry construction clad with stucco. Its distinctive ornamental features are the three arched storefront entries, edged by decorative brick and topped by a gabled parapet, each with a shield medallion. Red brick in a decorative pattern is also found in the bulkhead beneath the windows, the trim around the display windows and along the parapet. The large display windows appear to be original.

Detail for 2315 4th AVE / Parcel ID 0656000605 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Restaurant Plan: U-Shape
Structural System: Brick No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.
King County Tax Assessor Records, ca. 1932-1972.

Photo collection for 2315 4th AVE / Parcel ID 0656000605 / Inv #

Photo taken Mar 18, 2007
App v2.0.1.0