This is a particularly well-preserved historic property that appears to possess architectural and/or historic significance. It was built in 1922 in the Dutch Colonial style that was prevalent during this period in the University Park neighborhood.
Dutch Colonial-style houses are distinguished by their gambrel roofs. Most are steeply pitched gambrels containing almost a full second story of floor space; these have either separate dormer windows or a continuous shed dormer with several windows. A full-width porch may be included under the main roof line or added with a separate roof. Dutch Colonial houses in the University Park neighborhood commonly feature front-facing gambrel roofs with side entries. Their narrow, front gambrel form fit onto the neighborhood's narrow streetcar suburb lots.
This house was originally owned by Robert O. Jones and his wife Florence. Jones came to Seattle from Idaho in 1923 and resided in this house from 1924 to 1956. Prior to relocating to Seattle, Jones served as secretary to Idaho senator James H. Brady from 1914 to 1918. He served as Idaho Secretary of State from 1918 to 1923. He owned and published the Capitol Hill Times from 1930 to 1947 and was personal deputy to Sheriff Harlan S. Callahan from 1943 until his death in 1956. (Seattle Times, 8/23/56, p. 54).
This residence was constructed during the University District’s 1915-1929 developmental era, which saw the greatest expansion of the commercial area and continued growth in the residential areas.
The earlier decade, between 1900 and 1910, was the peak period of subdivision in the area. In 1906 the 20-block University Park Addition north of campus was filed. It became the most affluent and exclusive area in the district. The extension of additional streetcar lines stimulated speculation and housing development north of NE 45th Street. These included a trolley line to Ravenna Park developed by W.W. Beck, and the 1907 extension of a line along NE 45th Street from 14th Ave. NE to Meridian in Wallingford. Virtually the entire District was platted and ready for development by 1910. One distinctive feature of the University Park neighborhood is its very narrow lots. The Moore Investment Company, which platted it, apparently wanted to maximize its profits by creating small lots, most of which were under 4,500 square feet. Fairly substantial houses were still built on these relatively small lots.
The construction of the Lake Washington Ship Canal between 1911 and 1917 stimulated development in the University District. The old Latona Bridge was remodeled in 1916 before the ship canal opened and served the area until a new bridge, called the University Bridge, opened in 1919. The new bridge established 10th Avenue NE (now Roosevelt Way) as the major north-south arterial.
During the 1920s, there was a major construction boom in Seattle and the University District also flourished. By this time the structures built for the AYP had deteriorated, and a new campus plan had been prepared by Seattle architect Carl F. Gould in 1915. Transportation improvements during this time included opening of the Montlake Bridge in 1925, a streetcar and pedestrian trestle over Cowen Park built in 1925 and a streetcar loop between Montlake, the University District, and Wallingford added in 1928.
The construction of single-family homes in the district continued through the 1920s and the area was almost entirely built out by 1930. Most of the development was concentrated in the area north of NE 50th Street and west of Roosevelt Way, in the Park Home Circle north of Ravenna Boulevard and east of 20th Avenue NE, and in the University Park Neighborhood. Craftsman bungalows and Tudor Revival-style houses were popular during this period. By this time, University Park and become an extremely desirable neighborhood for University faculty families, a trend that continued until about 1950.
McAlester, Virginia Savage. A Field Guide to American Houses. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2013.
Seattle Times Digital Archives, 1900 – 1984: http://www.spl.org/library-collection/articles-and-research/magazines-and-newspapers
Tobin, Caroline and Sarah Sodt, University District Historic Survey Report: http://www.seattle.gov/neighborhoods/preservation/ContextUniversityDistrictSurveyReport.pdf, 2002.