Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 3707 S RIDGEWAY PL S / Parcel ID 5700003495 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1919
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1919, this building was designed by Seattle architect, Arthur L. Loveless. Mr. Loveless’ office was listed at 513 Colman Building. David Bruce and Louise P. Morgan purchased the building in March of 1924. The Morgan’s lived in the residence through 1938. Mr. Morgan was president of the Northern Life Insurance Company. David M. Morgan, vice president of the company, lived at 2526 Thirty-Third Avenue South. The 1940 Polk directory lists the building as vacant. H. Katz bought the property in November of 1941. Allen Rosen purchased the property in May of 1949 for $23,500 and remained in the building through 1964. In September of 1965, the Herzl Conservative Congregation purchased the property for $34,000. By 1968, Rabbi Maurice S. Corson lived in the building. Arthur L. Loveless (1873-1971) studied architecture but did not complete his degree at Columbia University. He came to Seattle in 1907 and formed a partnership with Clayton Wilson, working primarily on large residences. He then worked briefly with Daniel Huntington until opening his own practice in 1915. Loveless is best known as an eclectic designer of houses that featured elegant detailing between about 1908 and 1942. He did a considerable amount of work in the Tudor Revival style. He designed more University of Washington sororities and fraternities than any other architect, including Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority (1929), Beta Theta Pi (1922), Alpha Gamma Delta (1923), and Zeta Psi (1927). His award-winning projects included his own residence, his office, and the Darrah Corbet residence. His best-known work is the Studio Building (1930-33) on Capitol Hill at 711 Broadway East, which included his office. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
Built in 1919, this Colonial Revival style single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to South Ridgeway Place on a flat site at street level. This 1525 square foot, two-story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 29’ by 45’, with a 12’ curved stoop. The stoop is sheltered by an upper level balcony with a wrought iron balustrade. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, stucco-clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the hipped roof. Wide eaves define the roofline. The windows appear to be original 3:1 in bands of three windows on the lower level. On the recessed portion of the house the windows are twelve-pane in groups of three. On the main body of the house on the upper level, the windows are 8:1 and 6:1. The entrance is a classic portico-type entry with four round columns and the front door flanked by three-pane sidelights. Original window boxes remain on the upper story. A central chimney services this house.

Detail for 3707 S RIDGEWAY PL S / Parcel ID 5700003495 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
University District Historic Property Inventory Forms
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 3707 S RIDGEWAY PL S / Parcel ID 5700003495 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 04, 2003

Photo taken Nov 04, 2003

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0