Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2224 34th AVE / Parcel ID 1024049020 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Spanish - Eclectic Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1927
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1927, this building was owned by A. S. Hansen. Seattle architect, Fred Rogers, designed the building. Mr. Hansen resided previously at 3525 Hanford Street. Richard J. and Elaine L. Feek purchased the residence in March of 1936. By 1943, Abe Pohl lived in the building. In December of 1944, Eugene M. Murray purchased the building for $21,000. Herbert I. Rosen bought the property in June of 1954 for $31,000. In June of 1958, G. Walston bought the building for $32,500. In November of the following year, the building sold again for $32,500. Architect Fred Rogers worked in Seattle from 1926 until at least 1956. Before he established his own practice, he was a draftsman in the 1920s for Oline W. Harris Real Estate. He worked for H.G. Hammond for a few years during his career. He designed houses in the University District and West Seattle, among other areas. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
Built in 1927, this prominent, eclectic Spanish style-influenced, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Thirty-Fourth Avenue South on a sloping site at street level. This 1294 square foot, two story house with a full daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 30’ by 42’, with a recessed front entrance. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, stucco-clad superstructure. Clay tile covers the cross gable roof. Minimal gable and eave overhangs with decorative detailing beneath the gable end define the roofline. The second story projects slightly beyond the first story on the building’s north facade. Wood sash multiple lite windows provide day lighting with a prominent Palladian motif influenced front facade second story window. A course of rowlock bricks forms a blind round arch over the central window. A small square oriel window projects on the first story front facade. Windows feature rowlock brick sills and headers with slender colonettes forming mullions between the Palladian motif influenced windows. Decorative columns flank the main entrance with a course of rowlock bricks forming a soffit around the round arched entrance. An exterior brick chimney with twin chimney pots and decorative brickwork along the top services the building. The style and careful detailing set this building apart stylistically as unique within the neighborhood.

Detail for 2224 34th AVE / Parcel ID 1024049020 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Clay Tile
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Architects file cards, Seattle Department of Neighborhood, Historic Preservation Program.
Dietz, Duane, “Architects and Landscape Architects of Seattle, 1876 to 1959 and Beyond,” unpublished paper. University of Washington Libraries, July 1993.

Photo collection for 2224 34th AVE / Parcel ID 1024049020 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 06, 2003

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0