Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 123 S Jackson ST S / Parcel ID 5247800275 / Inv #

Historic Name: Seattle Transfer Company/ Scientific Supplies Common Name: Jackson Square Building
Style: Other - Utilitarian, Queen Anne - Richardsonian Romanesque Neighborhood: Pioneer Square
Built By: Year Built:
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This is a simple utilitarian building, completed in 1902, not too long after the Fire of 1889 and just as the original “burnt district” was expanding as a result of an economic and industrial upturn, after the Klondike gold rush. While its storefront has been changed, perhaps several times, the detailing of its masonry walls and basic openings do not appear to have changed at all. In scale and detailing, this building contributes to the district. It was built for James McKinlay, who operated a blacksmithing and machinery repair shop until sometime after 1889. McKinlay and his heirs owned the building site from 1879 to 1923. Baist’s maps from 1905 to 1912 also indicate that the building housed the Seattle Transfer Company. In the 1930s, the building was the site of Scientific Supplies (an historic photo shows their sign was affixed to the building), who also owned the Herman and Blumenthal Building (former Ingels Block) across Jackson Street By 1978, the building was occupied by the Teak Factory, several furniture retailers and Design Center Incorporated, which used the second floor for warehousing and assembly of imported furniture.
This is a two story brick building with a basement. It is rectangular in plan, 52 feet by 121 feet, and has a flat roof and parapet. It has solid brick walls, 13” thick and was built with heavy timber interior construction. Its main elevation faces north on Jackson Street, while its east elevation faces Occidental Avenue South. The north elevation has a ground floor level storefront with a lower second level. The façade is divided into three bays with a larger central bay, each bounded by brick pilasters, simply emphasized by subtle brick corbelling, which gives the impression of capitals. Corbelling also marks the parapet level. The east elevation has a series of window openings of different sizes and widths, although many are topped by segmental arches. It has, from north to south, three openings topped by segmental arches, alternating with trabeated openings. Then there is an expanse of wall. Moving north, there are two thinner openings topped by segmental arches, then three longer sets of openings with segmental arches and finally, the trabeated storefront windows, which turn the corner and continue into the storefront of the north elevation.

Detail for 123 S Jackson ST S / Parcel ID 5247800275 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status: NR, LR
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Warehouse Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Storefront: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Tax Assessor Records, ca. 1932-1972.
Lange, Greg and Tim O’Brian. “Virtual Pioneer Square,” unpublished manuscript, 27 October 1996. City of Seattle, Department of Neighborhoods, Historic Preservation Program files.
Baist, William. Baist’s Real Estate Atlas of Surveys of Seattle, Wash. Philadelphia: W. G. Baist, 1905, 1908, 1912 and 1928.
Mutundro, Jim, (handwritten-hard to read). Notes- “Improvements Description,” 20 June 1978, Archives, Historic Preservation Program, City of Seattle.

Photo collection for 123 S Jackson ST S / Parcel ID 5247800275 / Inv #

Photo taken May 24, 2004
App v2.0.1.0