Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 604 E UNION ST E / Parcel ID 8804900300 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Union Arms/Union Manor Common Name: Union Arms/Union Manor
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: First Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1925
The Union Manor/Union Arms is a notable feature of First Hill, occupying an entire block along Union Street at Boylston. It is unusual for its two entries, with different names, which give it the appearance of two separate buildings although it is actually one building on the interior. It was designed in 1925 by architect John A. Creutzer for developer John Lorentz, well known for his single-family home development on Queen Anne. This is a good (albeit somewhat unusual) example of the many apartment buildings constructed in the 1920s, when Seattle experienced a major construction boom. The city's population had increased dramatically in previous decades, and prosperity encouraged developers to meet the pent-up demand for housing. Apartments, ranging from basic housing to luxury units, were a significant factor in meeting this need, and became a major element of the streetscape in many Seattle neighborhoods. This neighborhood had easy streetcar access to downtown and proved to be fertile ground for apartment developers. Architect John Creutzer arrived in Seattle in 1906 after practicing in Minneapolis and Spokane. He worked for contractor Alexander Pearson and architect-contractor Henderson Ryan. Creutzer designed the Swedish Tabernacle (1906) and the Medical-Dental Building (1927, with A. H. Albertson). He died in 1928.
This three-story brick-clad masonry building extends along the entire north side of the block. A lightwell in the rear gives the building a U-shaped plan. The façade is broken by two entrances, with the names "Union Manor” and "Union Arms” above. The entry surrounds of cast stone have a Tudor arch and what appear to be an oak-leaf-and-acorn motif. The double wood doors are surrounded by leaded glass sidelights and transoms with art glass shields. The parapet steps up at the entries and at each end--emphasizing the appearance of two separate buildings. In the parapet above the entries are large rectangular plaques repeating the shield and floral motifs. Other cast stone ornament includes coping on the stepped parapet, a belt course above the third story windows, and a water table. Windows have vinyl sash with false muntins; those on the south façade are in pairs, and those elsewhere are arranged singly. The garage beneath is entered from Boylston Street.

Detail for 604 E UNION ST E / Parcel ID 8804900300 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Domestic - Multiple Family Plan: U-Shape
Structural System: Brick No. of Stories: three
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Tax Assessor Records, ca. 1932-1972.
City of Seattle, Department of Planning and Development, Microfilm Records.

Photo collection for 604 E UNION ST E / Parcel ID 8804900300 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Mar 08, 2006

Photo taken Mar 08, 2006

Photo taken Mar 08, 2006
App v2.0.1.0