Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2515 S Hinds ST S / Parcel ID 6696500005 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1959
Polk directories list Alvin E. Banks as the resident from 1953 through 1964. By 1966, the building was vacant. From 1968 through 1970, William Langworth, Jr. occupied the building. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1959, this low, Modern style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to South Hinds on a sloping site above street level. This 917 square foot, single-story house with a full basement features an L-shaped plan, measuring approximately 35’ by 43’ by 12’, with a recessed front entrance. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, clapboard- and vertical siding-clad superstructure. A flat roof with eaves shelters the residence. Prominent wide fascia defines the roofline. Multiple-pane windows provide day lighting. A short flight of stairs leads to the front entrance. A brick chimney services the building.

Detail for 2515 S Hinds ST S / Parcel ID 6696500005 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Unknown
Roof Type(s): Flat with Eaves Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 2515 S Hinds ST S / Parcel ID 6696500005 / Inv #

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0