This convent building has reddish-brown and tan brick cladding with terra cotta trim and red clay tile roofing. The roof has wide eaves and Italianate brackets. The entry is on the west side, up a tall stairway. The portico has two round terra cotta columns inside square brick columns. The portico has a flat roof with a turned terra cotta balustrade with a simple frieze below. A terra cotta belt course runs below the second floor windows. Windows have terra cotta sills and newer dark aluminum sash, replacing the original six-over-six sash.
Content for this form was updated in 2018 as part of the Uptown Historic Resources Survey.
Constructed in 1929, this two-story religious building features a rectangular plan. The building stands at the southeast corner of Thomas Street and Warren Avenue N. The building faces west, fronting Warren Avenue N. The site is raised above Warren Avenue N, with two flights of stairs with an intermediate landing descending from the building’s front entrance to the sidewalk along the street. The stairs are concrete with low concrete cheek walls. An alley runs along the east side of the site. The site slopes downward from east to west. Three ornamental deciduous trees extend along the east side of the site with a tall laurel hedge along the north and west sides. There is a small gazebo in the northwest corner of the site and children’s play equipment along the north side of the building. A parking lot abuts the south side of the building.
A hip roof with flush eaves shelters interior spaces. The roof is clad with clay tiles with decorative ridge caps. A frieze wraps around the top of the second story just below the roofline.
A concrete foundation supports the building’s structure. A wire cut (as the brick are extruded a wire is used to slice off each brick leaving a crisp edge) brick veneer composed of buff, tan, and ochre bricks with a raked finish clad the building. Mortar joints are raked back from the brick face.
Window openings feature flat rowlock lintels. First story windows have terra cotta lug sills. Second story windows feature a continuous terra cotta sill that wraps around the entire building. A tall window opening occurs on the south facade with a louver in the lower portion.
The front entrance features a covered stoop with a second story balcony. Segmented terra cotta columns and brick piers support the outer edge of the balcony. A prominent terra cotta cornice wraps around the outer edge of the balcony, with a terra cotta railing spanning between brick newels. Leaded glass side lites above stained oak panels flank the stained oak entrance door. A transom spans above the doorway and side lites. Ceiling mounted light fixtures illuminate the stoop. The building features service entrances on the south and east facades.
Alterations include the replacement of all windows (originally 6:6) with anodized bronze aluminum 1:1 sash. Previous work added clay tile clad gable roof at the rear and a canvas awning at the south service entrance along with associated framing supporting these roofs. Previous work removed the dentils from the cornice along the roofline. In 1931, the basement partitions were altered for the residence for the Sisters of the Sacred Heart School. In 1950 work included exterior alterations (permit 402132). In 1964 work added a 150-gallon water heater and associated wiring (permit (B22007 and 478825). In 1969 work installed a suspended ceiling within interior spaces (permit 533435). In 1971 work altered the building for use as an office (permit 542516 and 544479 in 1972). In 1976 alterations designed by architect Warren R. Pugh as part of the building’s conversion to office use. In 1983 the building changed use from an office to an emergency shelter triggering updates to the building’s fire protection equipment at that time. In 2001 alterations to the second floor by extending the fire alarm system and converting this space to classroom space.