Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 9251-9259 45th AVE / Parcel ID 248720110 / Inv # WS010

Historic Name: Trolley Stop Café Common Name: The Original Bakery
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: Westwood/Highland Park
Built By: Year Built: 1926
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
This building is in the very small commercial district known as Endolyne, which once marked the end of the line for the Fauntleroy streetcar, connecting to the ferry to Vashon Island. Fauntleroy Park was developed by John Adams, who bought property there in 1905. The only way he could get potential purchasers to the site was to put in a streetcar line which opened in 1907. The line ran through West Seattle on Fauntleroy Way to 45th Avenue SW, where it went up the hill to the turnaround at 46th, which came to be called Endolyne. A general store was built at this location, at 45th SW and SW Wildwood Place. The store burned in 1925, and the current structure was built in 1926 by John Adams., At first it was a restaurant called the Hawthorne Inn, but later it became the Trolley Stop Café, a local meeting place throughout the 1940s. There was also a grocery store. The building was remodeled in 1947, which revitalized the commercial center, as a branch library and a drug store moved in, along with a bakery called the Original Bakery. The bakery is still operating, along with a restaurant known as the Saffron Cow, and some smaller businesses.
 
Appearance
This building is clad in wirecut brick in shades of tan and brown, laid in a decorative X pattern. The south elevation is stucco with red brick on the rear. The site is sloped, so the storefronts on 45th step down to the north. On the north side toward the rear are two more storefronts and an entrance to a basement office. The storefronts were modernized in 1947 and have had further changes more recently. However, the display windows and transoms remain intact. The Original Bakery is the most intact, while the Saffron Cow and the stores on the north side have newer bulkheads.

Detail for 9251-9259 45th AVE / Parcel ID 248720110 / Inv # WS010

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Specialty store Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Commerce, Community Planning/Development
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Gilbert, Rich, and John Gracey. "There was a Place for Us: Architecture at the End of the Line," in Preservation of the Vernacular Environment, Vol. II, University of Washington, CAUP, 1996.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.

Photo collection for 9251-9259 45th AVE / Parcel ID 248720110 / Inv # WS010


Photo taken Jul 08, 2002
App v2.0.1.0