Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2647 Cascadia AVE / Parcel ID 5700003625 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts Neighborhood: Mount Baker
Built By: Year Built: 1913
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Built in 1913 at a cost of $7,000, this building was designed for I. L. Strong by Seattle architect, Charles Haynes. Harry N. and Elizabeth Curd purchased the building in April of 1926. Mr. Curd was vice president and general manger of Pacific Car and Foundry Company. The Curd’s previously resided in 1922 at 2522 Thirty-Third Avenue South and in 1924 at 3132 Cascadia Avenue South. In 1926, Mr. Curd hired Garland & Fitzgerald to construct a fireplace, enclose the porches for sleeping porches and build a breakfast nook. H. A. Clemen bought the building in August of 1940. By 1944, Henry J. Trowbridge lived in the building, followed by Payne Karr by 1954 through 1958. Robert P. Pifer bought the building in December of 1966 for $36,500, and in August of 1970, it was purchased by Ronald H. Schafer for $40,000. Architect Charles Haynes established a Seattle office, Haynes and Cantin, in 1907 and worked in partnership with several other architects over the years. Charles Haynes was the official architect for the Hunter Tract Improvement Company and designed many houses in Mount Baker Park. Among these are the Robert B. Kellogg house (1912) at 2701 Mt. St. Helens Place, the Hunter Improvement Company house (1913) at 2855 Mt. Rainier Drive, the Frank Buty house (1915) at 3704 South Ridgeway Place, and the house (1915) at 2659 Cascadia South. Haynes also designed Butterworth Mortuary in Seattle and many revival style houses, apartment houses and commercial projects in Seattle and Aberdeen. He died in Seattle in 1940. The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects. Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
Built in 1913, this Arts & Crafts style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Cascadia Avenue South on a flat site 8’ above street level. This 1638 square foot, two-and-a-half story house with a full daylight basement features a nearly square plan, measuring approximately 39’ by 36’, with a 21’ by 11’ front porch. A poured concrete foundation supports the wood frame, brick veneer- (first story) and shingle- (upper stories) clad superstructure. Asphalt composition roofing covers the cross gable roof. Moderate eave and gable overhangs with exposed purlins and rafters with decoratively cut bargeboards define the roofline. Curved braces support the exposed purlins. Wood sash 6:1 windows, single, paired and in triple groupings, and casement windows in the dormers provide day lighting. Two flights of stairs lead to the front porch. Brick piers support the porch roof and second story balcony. A low railing wraps the balcony. Brick chimneys service the building.

Detail for 2647 Cascadia AVE / Parcel ID 5700003625 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Mount Baker: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."
Mount Baker Community Club. Flowers We All Love Best in Mount Baker Park, (reprint of 1915 ed.)
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Mount Baker Historic Context Statement."
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 2647 Cascadia AVE / Parcel ID 5700003625 / Inv #

Photo taken Nov 06, 2003

Photo taken

Photo taken

Photo taken Mar 10, 2004
App v2.0.1.0